central heating and wood burner

Any way you want, no one is taking out 'no end' of wood burners and replacing them with gas fires.

Non sequitur. If dcawkwell installs gas fires, he might spend all his working hours installing gas fires, and removing whatever appliance was in the opening. It does not follow that wood burners are being ripped out wholesale.

Especially as they're mostly installed in non-gas areas. Most built up areas are in smoke controlled zones where only exempt wood burners are allowed. Or is it someone goes to the trouble of buying and fitting an exempt stove to have it replaced by a gas fire?

Are they? Really? So the areas on the mains gas, which would include most urban built-up areas, have fewer wood burners per square mile than non-gas rural areas with standing timber? Despite the former having a population density of say 5,000 per squ. kilometre?

That is unbelieveable.

You have overlooked the fact that wood (and paper, rags, garden waste, rubbish) is burned on non-exempt appliances and that there are still a lot of solid fuel appliances that were intended to burn coal in use, burning wood, or abandoned in place and not used.

PS. You're only hammering the understanding bit 'cos you ****** up by thinking I was the OP.

See above where you said dcawkwell and I were lying.

He's giving his opinion based on, as he states, the number of log burners he takes out and replaces with gas fires. I've heard that view elsewhere.

I doubt it.

Sponsored Links
Where do you suppose all those log burners end up then? If what's been stated is not total bull**** they must run into hundreds.

It's not like they'll be resold if people like the OP (even though he states the opposite) are so fed up feeding & maintaining them.

Are they? Really? So the areas on the mains gas, which would include most urban built-up areas, have fewer wood burners per square mile than non-gas rural areas with standing timber? Despite the former having a population density of say 5,000 per squ. kilometre?

Greater London, Greater Manchester, West Midlands, West Yorks, Merseyside, Tyne & Wear, Humberside, Greater Glasgow, Edinburgh etc are all smoke control zones.

Then add nationwide semi-rural areas like East Herts, Welwyn Hatfield etc that are in partial zones and you've covered most of the population who can't burn wood unless they have an exempt stove. So I repeat, the wood burning (not multifuel) stove market is mainly found in non-controlled areas which are all rural.

Where do you suppose all those log burners end up then? If what's been stated is not total bull**** they must run into hundreds .

What would anyone do with an unwanted woodburner?

E-bay.

A quick search for "wood burning stove" in Used condition brings up 262 hits at present. Some of those are for parts or fuel or antique stoves. The majority are newish-looking wood burning stoves. There will be others listed as boilers, back boilers, romm heaters, etc..

So, like you said, they do run into hundreds.

Hoist by your own petard there I fear. Would you like to apologise like a grown-up or are you going to keep digging?

It's not like they'll be resold if people like the OP (even though he states the opposite) are so fed up feeding & maintaining them.

Yes, it seems they are re-sold.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it seems they are re-sold.

But where if no-one wants them?

Why don't you apologise for first *****cking and mistaking me for the OP. Or your mate apologise to the OP for assuming him to be too idle to maintain a stove.

Real fires are preferred to fake ones, the same as fresh baked bread over packet type or chip shop chips over oven fries.

People make a concious decision when having a wood burning stove as they're not cheap especially as gas versions of stoves are available if the customer wants a stove look without the work.

There must be some that do, but I think anyone who claims, in this day and age, to be replacing 'NO END' of them for gas fires is fabricating a story to illustrate their own dislike of the product.

What's probably meant is that he's done it before for a customer.

But where if no-one wants them?

I'd guess that there are hundreds more that are just scrapped, or sold privately.

Why don't you apologise for first *****cking and mistaking me for the OP. Or your mate apologise to the OP for assuming him to be too idle to maintain a stove.

The difference is that I didn't insult you by calling you a liar. I made a mistake, after you said you doubted my statement. Come back and continue the argument when you've grown a spine.

Where do you suppose all those log burners end up then? If what's been stated is not total bull**** they must run into hundreds.

Your theory, that they weren't being removed, hung on your assumption that they weren't being resold or scrapped.

It has been confirmed that they are being resold second-hand, so there are hundreds being removed per week. It is not bull. Some are resold to others who think they will be able to feed and maintain them. Maybe they do or maybe they re-sell or scrap them when they find they can't.

Real fires are preferred to......
.............wibble, wibble, flannel, smoke screen, wibble, etc..

What's probably meant is that he's done it before for a customer.

I would think he meant he had removed a lot of them; you should ask him, before making daft assumptions from his statements. I don't know him.

Greater London, Greater Manchester, West Midlands, West Yorks, Merseyside, Tyne & Wear, Humberside, Greater Glasgow, Edinburgh etc are all smoke control zones.

Then add nationwide semi-rural areas like East Herts, Welwyn Hatfield etc that are in partial zones and you've covered most of the population who can't burn wood unless they have an exempt stove. So I repeat, the wood burning (not multifuel) stove market is mainly found in non-controlled areas which are all rural.

I can think of at least two log boilers in the second city of the empire, that we have installed. Smoke Control Zones?...........You are having a laff mate??!! Nobody gives a sh.t about that.

The difference is that I didn't insult you by calling you a liar. I made a mistake, after you said you doubted my statement. Come back and continue the argument when you've grown a spine.

The 'I doubt' - is only the I doubt he's replacing 'NO END' of wood burners for gas fires, you're the one who took it the wrong way.

As for your spine comment, how much spine can anyone have or not have from behind a keyboard?

The 'I doubt' - is only the I doubt he's replacing 'NO END' of wood burners for gas fires, you're the one who took it the wrong way.

Go back and read what you have posted. Your "I doubt it" post is in reply to my "I've heard that view elsewhere" comment. It is crystal clear. I took it as it was intended.

As for your spine comment, how much spine can anyone have or not have from behind a keyboard?

Enough backbone not to question the word of someone you know nothing about, using said keyboard; enough spine to correct your libellous comments, using said keyboard, when it turns out they know something about the subject.

You're boring me now. Do one.

Onetap you obvously don't read many of dwackwells posts. On a recent thread where the op is considering biomass....

Using wood is a giant leap backwards

On another...
Personnally wouldn't bother can't be asked getting wood etc and messing about with it. Get yourself a good gas fire no mess and instant heat.

On another

Personnally I wouldn't bother with the wood.
You'll soon get bored with stacking it. Lighting it. The mess. The mess.
Lighting it again. No useful heat for an hour

On another
Get rid of the solid fuel stove and join the 21st century.
The old and the new and never the two shall meet

On another
Waste of time and money. All the heat goes up the chimney

On another
Coal is messy. All that lighting, cleaning, waiting for heat. No way.

I reckon Tibbot is bang on the money.

Onetap you obvously don't read many of dwackwells posts. On a recent thread where the op is considering biomass....

I can't recall reading any of his posts and would probably have disagreed with any/all of those that you've quoted.

In this thread, all he had to say was that he had "Taken no end out and put gas fires back in."

I merely commented that I'd heard a similar story and the E-Bay evidence seems to support it. I'm sure that a lot of purchasers do not anticipate the amount of sawing, chopping and cleaning they have signed up to.

I merely commented that I'd heard a similar story and the E-Bay evidence seems to support it. I'm sure that a lot of purchasers do not anticipate the amount of sawing, chopping and cleaning they have signed up to.

E-bay is not evidence they're being replaced by gas fires. Perhaps you should aquaint yourself into how much is involved swapping a wood stove for say a DFE type or similar gas fire. There are casual users who'll use their CH and light a stove in extreme cold but I haven't met anyone who doesn't see them as a value added feature. Gas fires on the other hand can be viewed as death traps (due to bad publicity).

Purchasers who don't chop simply buy the wood, de-ashing is perhaps once a day.

PS. On the 'I heard' bit. I don't doubt what you heard, I doubt those who told you. But if you want to take insult, carry on, I don't care.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back