Central heating design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am renovating my 3 bedroom house and currently dealing with central heating. I got a plumbing 'expert' who designed a central heating for the house:

It is all on hep2o with 22mm manifolds. From there 10mm pipes goes to every room. It looks like this:
xzjxkrihmgbomgcb.png

As you can imagine this is sub optimal with the long runs. The big radiator in living space takes long time to heat up and never reaches the target temperature (but it is not too bad).

So I'm thinking to redesign this with minimum disruption (as most of the house renovation is finished).

I hope to run 15mm pipes from the manifolds to 3 corners of the house (red line on the diagram) and from there tee off with 10mm to each of the radiators (blue lines). This way the 10mm runs will be very short (for downstairs up to 3m for upstairs around 0.5m).

xzksnnronremnieo.png

Will this work? Will this improve the circulation?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your suggestion will probably help, but the real problem is that the original design is fundamentally flawed - the lengths of 10mm are ridiculously long even for the smaller radiators.

Is it a combination boiler?

What a ridiculous setup, no expert would come up with that. If you need help just ask, why 32kw?

It is a combi boiler.

Bunnyman, what do you think is wrong with it and how to improve it? As mentioned this installation does work but the biggest radiator had around 10deg less heat than others.

Sponsored Links
Right, I looked again into the long runs and the improved design would have max 4m run of 10mm.

There is no easy way of cutting the run down anymore. The only other option would be to replace most of the run with 15mm and the last meter with 10mm.

Red - 15mm
Blue - 10mm

xzopbxmhtcorrfph.png

Will this work well enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back