Central heating filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect this is going to be just down to personal choice, but I'd like to fit a filter to my central heating, as it's ~30 odd year old OV system, never been inhibited that I know of, and I would imagine it's sludged up to f...

One of the rads has virtually rusted through, so things aren't great.

What is the best filter to use? I'm thinking for reliability and also ease of isolating / taking in bits to clean.

I've read mixed reviews on all of them, but it looks like the favorites are a magnaclean, a fernox TF1, or a spirotech. I see screwfix are knocking there own branded ones out pretty cheaply, but is that going to be false economy?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can't speak for the Magnaclean but I went for a TF1. The main reason for going for the TF1 was because apparently it doesn't just remove metallic debris, it removes non metallic stuff too.

I believe the Magnaclean only removes magnetic stuff but again, only going off what I'm told.

Either way, the TF1 is doing a sterling job at removing crud from my system. Even if it doesn't get it all (which I don't for one minute think it will), it's got a lot so far. Just like a fart, better out than in.

It's simple to isolate and simple to clean too. Isolate top and bottom, remove magnet, open valve underneath, open top isolator to flush out crud. Reverse procedure before opening isolators. Takes 30 seconds.

EDIT: If you've got an ElectricFix or PlumbFix trade account at Screwfix then I think they're knocking them out for £80.

Sponsored Links
EDIT: If you've got an ElectricFix or PlumbFix trade account at Screwfix then I think they're knocking them out for £80.

I've got an electricfix account. Can I use that for plumbing bits too do you know?

I don't see why not. Once you've got an account they seem to apply discounts to everything eligible for discount at the trade only counter.

I was harassed by the girl at my local counter about opening an account every time I went in. I explained that I wasn't in the trade any more and therefore my qualifications weren't up to date but she wasn't bothered. Went in later with out of date certificates and she opened an account there and then for me.

TBH, the trade account just brings their prices down to similar levels as other trade counters but its handy because most things are under one roof.

If they won't apply the discount on plumbing for you then you'll probably be able to get one for similar money at one of the other trade counters.

I've got an electricfix account. Can I use that for plumbing bits too do you know?

I use my plumbfix account for electricfix stuff, so I would say yes unless you sparkies are being persecuted :p
If you are trying to clean the system then I would get a magnaclean as they are the most effective, I generally fit the MB3 now(more robust,will probably last longer) but its just back up protection after cleansing systems on new installs. The TF1s are ok also, fitted about 20 or so, did have one leak just recently though.

Yeah the plan is to try and clean the system. Unfortunately upstairs is on a one pipe system, so can't powerflush it. I was planning on running the filter for a while till it stops picking up too much crud, then put some X400 in for a couple of weeks, flush and inhibit, but keep on checking the filter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back