central heating only comes on with h water, stumped engineer

If you haven't touched anything under the floor, can you post a pic of all the pipes in the old cylinder position.

Sponsored Links
There arent any pipes in the old position other than the 2 28mm which pointed left in the pic and went 1 foot, turned the bends on the top 90 degrees and added 3m of straight pipe to cylinder

So you have no idea where or how the heating pipes joined.

need the answer to where the bottom two pipe go in the boiler sketch you did. Some pics showing the connections both sides of the boiler please.

one of the heating pipes is the 22mm thats in the pics where spacer is and above floor is one of the 3 insulated ones 2x28mm & the 22mm to port A.
i will be under the floor boards in next couple of days and will be getting boiler serviced next week.

Sponsored Links
The pipe with the spacer is probably the actual flow, where does it connect to something.

The pipe in port A is most likely the heating return.

You need to survey the whole system from a piping and wiring aspect.

One sketch for the piping and one for the wiring clearly marking up all the items of equipment, relative locations ie ground or first floor, size of pipes, location of connection points to help with flow and return idents etc.

Identify wire colours and their respective terminal numbers which you can allocate on the sketch if none are shown. This will enable the control side to be checked too.

Sketch out what you find as you go then make a neater copy which will be easier to follow and provide a good reference for yourself and anyone else who is involved.

A long job but worth it and you probably have a lot of info already.

Bill, I sent you a meassage but as your message box is not ticked to receive messages so I had no choice other than to put a link on here,

I honestly did not intend to upset anyone, by doing this, everyone is trying to help op as best as they can, any bit of information he can get from anyone is better for him to reach understanding of a typical system, such that it will make sense to him and any tests you are suggesting to him then he can see where you are coming from.

and for a very good video link that explains about a y plan heating systems, the idea is this covers electrical problems since it is quite possible that your 3pv is not sending a live feed to the motor pump when it is in CH mode, i am just suggesting that it might be! might not be! who knows! of course this is one thing you might not have confirmed, and it can be confirmed quite easily if you put your CH on, go up there and see if you can hear the motor humming away, or use a screw driver placed on the motor body and against your ear to hear a motor running.

so check either your message box and click on this video link for all the extra information that is quite usefull in my opinion.

http://www.plumberparts.co.uk/3-port-valves-and-y-plan-heating-systems/

and there is other usefull information on that site if you scrolkl down, like typical y plan wiring, so you can check yours against it.

The mans an idiot Mike and hasn't a clue.

The video is not helpful and clouds any issues we are trying to solve.

We know half the problem, e.g. the primary pipes are crossed but we still need the information on the heating pipes to advise further.

Just noticed this from last November

the grundfos pump always keeps going when boiler shuts down and this pumps cold water round the CH quickly
The OP has a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, which as far as I know, does not have pump overrun on any models. So why is the pump continuing after the boiler shuts down?

Give the guy a break. He doesn't know.
Though "bonkers" by name and bonkers by nature maybe. :LOL:

Mike ! I'm intrigued by your suggested test on the motor.
The motor must be OK if you get CH and HW on at the same time.
Not only that, it has been confirmed the valve moves to CH only.
Also it needs more than just the motor moving the valve to fire the boiler. A micro switch also has to be triggered.
My understanding is that the valve is operating as it should and therefore the problem is elsewhere.

Give the guy a break. He doesn't know.
I wasn't directing the question at the OP, just chucking my hat into the ring hoping another contributor would come pick it up and suggest possible causes.

Just noticed this from last November

the grundfos pump always keeps going when boiler shuts down and this pumps cold water round the CH quickly
The OP has a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, which as far as I know, does not have pump overrun on any models. So why is the pump continuing after the boiler shuts down?

Dave I think since that was posted to OP has moved and generally messed it up big time.

Until we know where the heating pipes are connected we are at a loss

So far we know.

The primary flow is wrong.

The primary return is wrong.

The heating pipe in port "A" is wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back