central heating programmer sunvic select 207xl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

ive just replaced a randall 4033 with a sunvic select 207xl, i followed the wiring instructions supplied

but my hot water will only work if the central heating is on, i cant get it to work independantly, the red light will come on indicating that it is on but i get no hot water

any ideas?????

cheers

Sponsored Links
Have you set the switch on the back of the Sunvic correctly? P for fully pumped; G for pumped heating, gravity Hot water?

hi

at the moment it is set at P for pumped, im not sure if the system is pumped heating gravity hot water

there is a tank in the loft with the cold water and a coated copper tank up stairs below the loft would that mean i need to have it set on G?

cheers

hi

at the moment it is set at P for pumped, im not sure if the system is pumped heating gravity hot water

there is a tank in the loft with the cold water and a coated copper tank up stairs below the loft would that mean i need to have it set on G?
Not necessarily. The tank in the loft just means that you do not have a combi boiler.

Which boiler (make and exact model) do you have?
Do you have any motorized valves - see pics below? If so which type and how many?
Is there a cylinder thermostat (see pic)?
View media item 5945 View media item 5946 View media item 10596

Sponsored Links
my boiler is very old (29yrs) will be getting replaced in the near future its a concord WRS,
i have 1 x motorized pump WILO gold 50
1 x Drayton relay unit RB 1
1 x Drayton actuator model TA/M4

i fitted a new thermostat when i fitted the programmer (sunvic)

when rewiring the sunvic i didnt have a cable to put into port 1
this cable should have come from port 5 in the randall but there was no cable there also

thanks

1 x Drayton relay unit RB 1
1 x Drayton actuator model TA/M4
That's very old kit!

Can you confirm the motorised valve (attached to the actuator) is a mid-position like this:

View media item 5946
Also that you do not have a cylinder thermostat:

View media item 10596
i fitted a new thermostat when i fitted the programmer (sunvic)

I presume you mean you replaced the Room Thermostat?

when rewiring the sunvic i didnt have a cable to put into port 1
this cable should have come from port 5 in the randall but there was no cable there also
If it was working OK without a wire in Randall Terminal 5, what makes you think there should be a wire in Sunvic Terminal 1? This is a typical wiring diagram using the RB1 and TA/M4. As you can see there is no HW OFF terminal.

The Randall needed a link between the L terminal and terminal 1 (HW common). The Sunvic does not need this link as it is provided internally.

So the correct wiring is:

Randall: 2 - Sunvic: 4
Randall: 4 - Sunvic: 3
Randall: 6 - Sunvic: L
Randall: 7 - Sunvic: N

Randall: 1 - Sunvic: NO Terminal, connected internally
Randall: 3 - NOT USED; Sunvic: 2 - NOT USED
Randall: 5 - NOT USED; Sunvic: 1 - NOT USED

yes very old plumbing not been touched since house was built

the pump is not fitted on a pipe like that it has a single pipe going in the bottom of it then going out the top, then into the actuator which then goes into an L shaped pipe above the actuator which branches of in 2 different directions

didnt explain myself properly about the thermostat, i bought a separate tank thermostat and replaced the old one of the tank

i have no wires going into the sunvic 1, but have a red and black wire going into sunvic2, what should i do to these?

cheers

the pump is not fitted on a pipe like that it has a single pipe going in the bottom of it then going out the top, then into the actuator which then goes into an L shaped pipe above the actuator which branches of in 2 different directions
I did not ask about the pump but the valve and actuator. Can you post a picture of the valve/actuator and the pipe work you mention?

didnt explain myself properly about the thermostat, i bought a separate tank thermostat and replaced the old one of the tank
That sorted the confusion out.

have a red and black wire going into sunvic2, what should i do to these?
Where were they connected on the Randall?

Pity the pic is on its side!

Please answer the questions I asked earlier about the valve and cylinder thermostat.

I know you said you replaced the cylinder thermostat, but are you talking about the immersion heater stat, which is in the top of the cylinder.

Looking at the pic the pump is just visible on the left and feeds straight into the motorized valve. It then divides into two after the valve, one pipe going to the hW cylinder and the other, presumably, to the radiators.

Your hot water and heating will always be on at the same time as there is nothing preventing the flow of water into the cylinder.

the red and black wires came from randall 3
Then they should be connected to Sunvic 2

it was the cylinder thermostat i changed which is on the side of the tank

the valve on the actuator is set in the middle for both CH/HW
it has individual settings above and below 1 for CH and 1 for HW

it was the cylinder thermostat i changed which is on the side of the tank
Another confusion resolved.

the valve on the actuator is set in the middle for both CH/HW
it has individual settings above and below 1 for CH and 1 for HW
A new confusion ;)

If you have only one valve, it should look like the pic below. The water goes in the bottom and comes out one side for the radiators and the other for the hot water cylinder. The actuator can select one of three positions: rads only, cylinder only, or rads and cylinder.

View media item 5946
Can you please confirm your valve looks like the pic above as, from your pic it looks like a two port valve - which is not correct if you have a cylinder thermostat.

hope this paints a better picture

i have nothing that looks like the one in your picture, what i have is

pump and actuator, on the actuator there is a needle with 3 settings, middle CH/HW, top HW, bottom CH

pipe going into actuator note white pump branches left behind actuator then down and into walls to what i believe will be the radiators

above the actuautor the pipe on the left goes into cylinder and the pipe going up goes to the height of the cylinder then stops, it is closed of with a bleeding valve

the cylinder thermostat has a cable which goes into the relay unit

that cable shares the same port as the cable for the actuautor into the relay unit

there is also a cable from the relay unit to the pump

In the first picture, behind the pump, there is an insulated pipe.

Does this pipe connect to the motorised valve?

no that is the white pipe in the second pic that goes into the walls to what i believe will be the central heating

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back