Central Heating Programmer...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if it is possible for a central heating programmer to control lights and other equipment, reason I ask is I keep fish and have lights coming on/off various times in the day and all the plug in timers are rather bulky and unsightly where as 1 unit would tidy things up a lot for me.

55w flourescent comes on last/off first
2x 25w flourescent comes on second/off second
1x 25w flourescent comes on first/off last
Solenoid valve comes on/of with the 2x 25w lights

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
can't see any reason a central heating timer couldn't be used for this

you might wan't to post about this in the plumbing and central heating forum though they are likely to have more experiance with the things.

all the "programmers" really are is just a sophisicated timeswitch, so yes you could use one for what you want.

Only problem i can see is the way i read it you will need 2 of them.
look at it this way.

hotwater or heating , that makes only 2 "channels" (no matter how you switch it it is still only 2 channels, and as "programmers only run 2? i figure you will want 2 of them) it seems that you need 3 channels, but then it depends what you actually want

you may also want to look on the net you may find something more suitable

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
you can get a three channel programmer

horstman springs to mind here
but @ £112+ vat you must be able to get 2 "not so fancy ones" .......

just looked, you can get 3 of these and still have change (not that you need 3)

Thanks all, so I'm looking at needing two units that would still be a lot neater than the 4 way extension and the 4 timers I have at present.

All I'm trying to achieve is a neater installation in the cupboard where all the equpment is mounted.

Cheers.

excuse the state of it but you mean something along these lines?

prog2.jpg

prog1.jpg

Yep that's what I am aiming for, didnt think about attaching them on the outside though, I already have my Ph controller and temp on the outside so the programmer would look ok there too.

Nice looking tank by the way, is it yours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back