Central heating thermostat advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - I'm looking to buy a wireless thermostat - it's the easiest solution to my poorly placed tstat, and means we can be more efficient with the heating

I think I need a "three-wire" thermostat - can anyone confirm from the attached pictures? Are the tstats just a wire-out; wire-in job to replace?

Also - anything advice - things to look out for/avoid?

Budgetting £70-£100.

Ta

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
at this time of year - no. but in Winter it's a cold house and the current thermostat is in a pig of a place - and it's calibration is about 10 degrees C out.

I just wondered if I would need a 3-wire or not, and if they are generic fittings - or specific to individual boilers rather that your opinion if my baby's room needs heating or not.

P.S. if it's warm enough and the thermostat is in it's room - then it won't get heated anyway... currently the heating clicks off as soon as the boiler gets up to heat - not after the habitable areas of the house have warmed up!

Sponsored Links
I just wondered if I would need a 3-wire or not, and if they are generic fittings - or specific to individual boilers rather that your opinion if my baby's room needs heating or not.

The stat's receiver will need to be wired near the boiler or the ch wiring centre depending on the system you have.

Four wires for the receiver are; permanent live and perm. neutral to run the stat plus the live wire in to the existing stat and the switched live out of the stat.

And always a stat or programmable stat from the Drayton Mi range for me.

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/mi-series-mi-stat-room/

//www.diynot.com/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=3161425

Dan's right. Heating the baby's room will likely make it grow up like a soft southerner. :LOL:

Problem is, your stat only has 3 of the required 4 wires. It's missing a permanent live feed, so if you want to put the receiver where the stat is, you need to get a perm live 240v supply to that location.

That's why it's simpler to locate the receiver near the boiler or ch wiring centre.

aaah right - OK. might leave it for now then - I don't think I can safely mess with wires in the wiring centre.

There looks to be too many to play with and because of where my boiler is in the extension - there would be three+ brick walls so would struggle to get a signal in the rest of the house.

shame really - the various guides around the internet make it sound like a plug and play thing.

Thanks for the tips tho

shame really - the various guides around the internet make it sound like a plug and play thing.

That's the problem with the internet - not everyone's situations are the same.

If you have basic wiring skills, it's possible. Just trace the stat's 3 wires back to the wiring centre - having isolated the ch power supply first. Then you have the 3 terminals in the centre that you need. Just need to use the live that's in the centre and you're there.

Someone on here could help, especially if you posted good pics of the connections.

I might stick some pictures up if I get time - I've not really got time to start re-routing /adding wires to get all four conductors in there - too many panels, baths, sinks, toilets, you-name-its in the way...

I might stick some pictures up if I get time - I've not really got time to start re-routing /adding wires to get all four conductors in there - too many panels, baths, sinks, toilets, you-name-its in the way...

Can't you put the receiver near the wiring centre? Everything you need is there. That's where they normally go.

Hardly any cable to run in that case.

I could - but because of where the boiler is, I'd struggle to get reception most places in the house - it would be behind 3 double skinned brick walls from the rest of the house(extensions...)

I'm basing it on the fact WiFi doesn't make it in - therefore, I assume that RF won't make it out...

Hi,

I fitted a cm927 with the receiver right next to the boiler. It comes with a signal test facility (basically blinking lights iirc). I could not find a place in my house they didn't connect with full signal strength. However the wifi is very patchy across the same distances.

Maybe you are creating an issue when there won't be one?

Graeme

I see your problem. A few walls aren't normally too much of a problem though. It's metal between the stat and receiver that blocks the signal.

You could poss get the receiver nearer, but not all the way. But unless you live in a mansion, should be OK.

Yes you can use those existing wires.

The red is live, yellow is switch live and blue is neutral. When you wire the receiver use the red as live but also put a link wire between said live and the remaining switch position.

Simples although not technically the correct way to do it because on the time clock you would need central heating on constant to keep the live "live" all the time to keep the receiver and stat paired up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back