Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sparky fella just been round to swap my old board for new shiny one. Want to rent house out, so need the certification, will the certificate that i was given suffice. As the sparky fella said it would.

Sponsored Links
Electrical installation certificate for the new board.

Thanks for the reply

That should satsify your legal requirements to ensure its kept in good order (though do have a look in the coments on existing installation box)

Likewise the local authority should be happy that it is safe.

It is also notifiable work under the building regulations, so check with your sparky that he has notified it through his self certification scheme

Sponsored Links
Electrical installation certificate for the new board.

Thanks for the reply

What colour is the certificate?
If its green then he is not part-p registered and should have notified LABC in advance

What colour is the certificate?
If its green then he is not part-p registered and should have notified LABC in advance

Depends whose form he uses - mine are black & white with blue writing
I use my own MSword template forms with the NAPIT logo (with their permission of course)

The certificate is only for the Fuseboard and not the complete installation.

You should have a Periodic Test and Inspection carried out for the complete Electrical Installation, you will then receive a Periodic Test and Inspection Certificate, this will show any defects under observations codes 1-4.

Thing is, a DB change is modifiying every single circuit, so everyone will be tested and inspected as part of that, very nearly a PIR after all that ;)

Unless you are doing a full Periodic then you cannot issue one.

The Domestic Installation Certificate will only cover the fuseboard.

You cannot issue a Domestic Installation Certificate for the complete installation unless it is your new installation.

Rentals should have a Periodic Certificate.
I do one each time a tenant moves out or every 10 years.

Unless you are doing a full Periodic then you cannot issue one.

The Domestic Installation Certificate will only cover the fuseboard.

You cannot issue a Domestic Installation Certificate for the complete installation unless it is your new installation.

Rentals should have a Periodic Certificate.
I do one each time a tenant moves out or every 10 years.

Wrong Steve.
Every circuit has been modified by changing their protective devices therefore they should be tested to verify their compliance before re-energising.
An EIC should cover the TOTAL installation. All Code 1's would need to be rectified as a minimum.
Check with both the NICEIC and ECA, both will tell you the same - EIC to cover new board change AND all outgoing circuits.

I place a note in comments box explaining that I haven't installed the wiring and therefore cannot guarantee that all cables have been run in safe zones. This was suggested by technical at the ECA.

Gary I agree that you will be testing every circuit before you energise it, but your Domestic Installation Certificate will be for the fuseboard only.

A Domestic Installation Certificate is for your work only, the rest requires a periodic.

On a Domestic Installation Certificate there is no page for observation defects codes 1-4 and overall assessment, Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory, also next inspection due date.

You only have a section for comments on existing installation, which does not cover a full test and inspection.

A Domestic Installation Certificate is not a Periodic Test and Inspection Certificate, sorry but they are both different.

Just replacing the fuseboard does not make the installation good, so you should carry out a full periodic and issue such.

BTW NICEIC Approved Contractor 23 years.[/b]

Gary I agree that you will be testing every circuit before you energise it, but your Domestic Installation Certificate will be for the fuseboard only.
of course whether the letting agent will have the electrical knowlage to realise that and not just accept whatever official looking cert is pushed thier way is a very different matter.

As you are installing a new fuse board you are altering the characteristics of each of the circuits by installing a different overcurrent protective device. Each circuit must be checked that it complies with BS7671 before it is put into service. However, as GaryMo points out I don't think you should be held responsible for something which is amiss and you can't see which would be detailed in the extent and limitations in a PIR.

On a Domestic Installation Certificate there is no page for observation defects codes 1-4 and overall assessment, Satisfactory or Unsatisfactory, also next inspection due date.

Which is why a PIR should be carried out prior to recify and faults before changing the consumer unit and issueing an EIC to cover the board and all outgoing circuits.

In fact, have a look here - http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=20346&enterthread=y

BTW NICEIC Approved Contractor 23 years.[/b]

And?

of course whether the letting agent will have the electrical knowlage to realise that and not just accept whatever official looking cert is pushed thier way is a very different matter.

I agree, what is the difference between an NICEIC Approved Contractor and a NICEIC Domestic Installer.

As far as the letting agent is concerned they are the same.
NICEIC is all they see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back