CH install - New Rads not heating - Need your help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so my apologies in advance, if my story is very long. Before the covid-19, we had some work done by a plumber in our room-in-roof. We had 2 radiators added to the existing CH system. The pipes were connected to one of our bedrooms. Because of covid-19 the builder had to break-away from the job. He then contacted us on weekend to say he could come down over finish the install. But he said that he didn't want to risk anyone becoming, so asked if we could arrange for him to come over whilst we go to work and just leave him the money. Anyway to cut a long-story short, he came over at beginning of week whilst we were at work. He did the job took the money and went.

Due to the hot weather, we didn't test it until today. The radiators in downstairs rooms and bedrooms work fine, but the ones in the attic don't feel warm at all. We contacted him, but he denied he did anything wrong and said that he had tested them and they were working before he left. He became aggressive and blamed us (cheeky git).

I'm obviously going to report him, but I simply want to get the system working. I've already:
  • checked both sides of each radiator and both TRV/Return valves are fully open.
  • made sure there was no air

He has connected the new radiator pipes to one of the existing radiators in our bedroom. My suspicion is that he may have piped the flow/return pipes to our existing radiators wrong-way around. Could this possibly be the issue? If not, what else do you suggest?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok, some more information is needed.

• What size pipes are the bedroom pipes? If you don’t know post a pic.
  • It might be that it’s not balanced, check the wiki page on diynot.com plumbing forum
  • Is this a normal sized house?
  • How many existing radiators are on the system, and what size?
  • What boiler/system is it?
  • You mentioned a plumber, and then a builder to finish off?
Thanks.

Hi, Thanks for your help. In answer to your questions:
  • Pipes are plastic (15mm)
  • Yes they've already been balanced by me - Rooms that are warmer than usual have valves less open and rooms which are colder have more valve open
  • I don't know what you describe as a normal house, but this is a 4-bedroom property with 3 floors.
  • 8 + 2 new radiators
  • Valliant - 38KW
  • Sorry he's mainly a plumber, but does the odd building work too.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I'm obviously going to report him
Report him to who ?

He has connected the new radiator pipes to one of the existing radiators in our bedroom. My suspicion is that he may have piped the flow/return pipes to our existing radiators wrong-way around. Could this possibly be the issue? If not, what else do you suggest?
Nope not with modern TRVs, wouldnt make a difference

try getting him to come back and have a look without being aggressive, threatening never works

Report him to trading standards I assume?

I think you've misunderstood me....I haven't been aggressive - it was him. All I wanted him to do was to come back and check it, but he was asking for more money. When I said no, he became nasty.

If it doesn't make a difference, then I don't know what else I could do.

Sounds like it might be piped up wrong, both flows on one rad, and both returns on another. Do any of the pipes get warm/hot?

Sounds like it might be piped up wrong, both flows on one rad, and both returns on another.

Yes....it's a possibility. I've done a diagram to better explain. I'm sorry, I'm not a good designer and I hope it's easy to understand.

upload_2020-6-3_17-51-44.png

Last edited:
Report him to trading standards I assume?
Good luck with that, sorry just being realistic, dont want to come across as being sarcastic, but trading standards will do absolutely nothing, your only recourse is if you can find someone who is willing to sort it out, and give you a written report, and be willing to attend a small claims court, good luck finding someone who will happily do that, do your best to get a relationship back with the origional installer,it is your best bet

I appreciate what you're saying Ian. I've tried being reasonable with the person, but this isn't about me causing issues and simply a relationship breakdown - it's about a rogue trader who's scammed us and now wants even more money to repair what he messed up.

Your right about trading standards, so I'll put that aside for now. But right now I just want to get it sorted and I'm not willing to cough up even more money when I've already been ripped off. I'm hoping I can somehow locate the issue and fix it.

I appreciate what you're saying Ian. I've tried being reasonable with the person, but this isn't about me causing issues and simply a relationship breakdown - it's about a rogue trader who's scammed us and now wants even more money to repair what he messed up.

Your right about trading standards, so I'll put that aside for now. But right now I just want to get it sorted and I'm not willing to cough up even more money when I've already been ripped off. I'm hoping I can somehow locate the issue and fix it.
not really sure how we can help you on line to be honest, get the feeling you will need someone to visit, only advice I can give is radiator circuits are just that, you have a flow and a return, if he has teed the return or flow in to the wrong pipe that is your problem

Ian, can you just clarify something for me? Does having radiator pipes connected to the existing piping wrong-way round make any difference?

checked both sides of each radiator and both TRV/Return valves are fully open.

The “lockshield” valves at the other end of the rad from the TRV should NOT be fully open.
Often they should only be a fraction of a turn open.

Rooms that are warmer than usual have valves less open and rooms which are colder have more valve open

Are you referring to the TRVs or the lockshields?

Have you checked for air by opening a bleed valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back