Chaffoteaux & Maury mx2 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Bit of a disaster with the above boiler today. It had recently started playing up and regularly cutting out so we called in a local gas engineer to have a look.

Apparently he first diagnosed the problem as 2 ignition leads which he duly replaced but the boiler continued to encounter the same problem and so he then though to replace the air pressure switch. He tested his work by running the boiler only to find it stop working again after 10 minutes and a melted air pressure switch (the one which he had just replaced) as welll as a hole in the boiler fire wall.

Apparently the boiler overheated which caused the damage.

Was the original cutting out issue a common fault with these boilers and if so was there an easy fix?

I'm not confident in the engineer's abilities or excuses and I don't see why I should pay him anything for not only not fixing the boiler but now making it even worse.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
He sounds totally incompetent!

Are you quite sure he is really gas registered? Is his photo with his gas registration on the Gas Safe website?

You should certainly NOT pay him anything at all! In fact there is a good argument that he should pay you for a new pressure switch if he did not leave the old one!

The obvious advice is to get a competent engineer! Those are not one of the most popular makes with engineers though.

Tony Glazier

Thanks for your reply Tony. We were recommended this engineer through a letting agent so assume he must be official even though his work doesn't follow. Is it possible he just had a really bad day? Or should no gas engineer be expected to let something like this happen (because of safety concerns)? By your reaction I assume it should never have got this bad?

There was apparently a leak in the upstairs bathroom radiator valves and I don't know if this contributed to the problem? Either way he knew about all this before replacing the air pressure switch.

In my experience many letting agents have some tame engineers who they get to do their Gas Certs often adding a commission to make it £85 when the engineer only charges £65 or less.

Many of them are not very good at repairs and often recommend a new boiler. Agents love that because they can add a nice hefty commission to a £2000 new boiler than a few pounds to an £84 repair!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he caused the damage by linking the aps out and not testing the fan correctly and or the gas valve, I could be wrong! I would get a second opinion don't pay or let him wiggle out of it, as the boiler was faulty at the start and something was telling him it was but he tried to Bodge it IMO. I work for a letting agent since November last year and the previous guys work is a nightmare and the landlord ticket he did were let's face it fails I regret taking the work on to be honest.

Jourden, how much do you charge the agent and does he add extra when billing the landlord?

I charge £60 for cp12's and extra for combo service and cp12 they add £15 to each and any prices I give for plumbing or repairs under £100 is a £10 charge and anything over 10%, I don't do many job from them I have a fixed diag charge of £45 and £25 for a quote that the landlord gets off the job if I do it. Landlords don't use me that often for repairs mainly diag same as quoting, I had to force it on the agent as the guy before did it all foc. Did you do your level two at eastliegh Tony?

No, someone else!

I went to school in B'mth though!

Still go to see an old school friend who is now in Weymouth. He gets his CP12s done for £25!

Tony

Thanks for your replies. Got my insurers to fix the boiler now so hopefully they know what they're doing...

Contractors working for insurance schemes are not renown for their skills.

But I doubt they could be much worse than the fellow you had before.

I hope you did not pay him. The fellow is a liability!

I didn't pay, no. If he disagrees then he's welcome to persue me but I've had an evaluation done by the insurance engineers stating that the previous work was 'dangerous' and, in their words: 'the engineer should be shot'...! So clearly he made a complete dog's dinner out of it.

Fingers crossed this new engineer isn't a clown.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back