chain saws

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Chainsaws nowadays are completely safe. Kickbacks are a thing of the past and the only reason they did exist is because of blunt blades. The new ones from Stihl are incredible

sorry dulux but chainsaws are not completley safe these days, far from it. Kickbacks are not a thing of the past. Read any of the manufacturers instructions for chainsaws and you will see they cover it in great length. The improvements to chainsaws and the requirements for certain equipment on them has come on leaps and bounds but they still are dangerous bits of kit, that dont take any prisoners

the thing about a chainsaw, is that the business end of the machine is so very exposed for obvious reasons.

it cannot be adorned with any guards or rails because this would stifle its performance.

its naked brutality means that the user MUST protect themselves to the max, just to be able to operate it.

get a blunt machine, combined with an apathetic user....... :eek:

A friend of mine who has been using chainsaws for years in forestry, and was wearing ALL the gear. Lowered the saw one day and the tip of the blade caught his toe, the steel toe-cap led the cut behind it, right across the instep of his foot, as good as cutting through a couple of bones.

Surprisingly the worst part of the whole accident was the infection that resulted from the stinky old leather of his boot and the oak sawdust being distributed through the nearby flesh, that nearly cost him his foot.
Aparently it would have been a lot simpler if he had been barefoot and cutting beech, which is naturaly antiseptic (unlike toxic oak).

I'm sure there is a moral there somewhere, but I haven't been on a training course so it's lost on me.

the moral is they are still dangerous bits of kit and need complete respect

To emphasise what has already been said, chainsaws are extremely dangerous, full protection is and should be mandated when using one. I sold mine as I was too much of a scardy cat using it. Please if you are thinking of using / buying a chain saw be very careful, never use when off balance, also chainsaws come in different sizes for different jobs.

An tree surgeon wouldn't dream of using a heavy duty chain saw up a tree, it's simply suicide.

As said many times here common sense prevails on this one. I have and use a chain saw for my log fire, i have the hat and steel toe boots i treat the saw with the respect it deserves and NEVER use it when off balance or there is a risk of it kicking back at you. I have not done any courses and have used one every week for the past year or so. I dont claim to be an expert but if you treat it correctly it should be a very useful tool.

I would never use an electric one and you must invest in some sharpeners to keep it at its best always clean after use or before next use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back