Chainsaw Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello: has anyone used Stihl SynthPlus chainsaw oil? I bought 5ltr from Ebay, about £20. It has the viscosity of used engine oil, no apparant anti-fling properties and, presumably as a result, doesn't last long compared to the gooey stuff I'm used to.

Stihl says the serial number is genuine. The vendors say they've had no other complaints. Stihl have a good name.

Perhaps I'm missing something. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
All good counterfeiters will be able to get a serial number.
Why not send Stihl a wee sample, see what they say?

Why not send Stihl a wee sample, see what they say?

They'll probably say "it appears you have chlamydia" :mrgreen:

Is this the super-duper eco friendly biodegradable stuff? It's meant to be a bit rubbish compared to the regular gear.

...and nowt wrong with used engine oil (it's what I use :oops:)

Stihl synthplus (516 2002) is the latest offering from Stihl, semi synthetic and an excellent product for continuous chainsaw use.
If you want to save the planet, then its 516 3001 Bio plus bar oil for you.
I guess this stuff is made from vegetable oil, and some punters specify it, believe it or not!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Stivino, maybe I will send Stihl a wee sample (notice I don't take the **** like that other nasty man) and maybe, Deluks, I’ll end up using free old engine oil which, apart from the odd microscopic grains of metal, sounds similar to SynthPlus.

But is it supposed to be, John: you seem to rate this product so will be familiar with it. In your experience is it about the same thickness as car engine oil or viscous and sticky as chain oils usually are to decrease the chance of the oil being flung off by centrifugal force before completing a full circuit of the chain and to reduce wastage of oil for the same reason?

Have asked this question several times now from Stihl, the vendor and various forums but have so far failed to get an answer which is a good thing in the long run as it lead me to this forum. Peter

Sorry for the late reply Peter - I guess you will hear several opinions on this.
The only thing I can say is that the genuine Stihl stuff is used by tree surgeons and the like - i.e professional users that use their saws for long periods.
They do say that the saw chain remains sharp for longer, which I'm sure is a good thing when you are stuck up a tree!
Personally I'm just a casual user but I repair loads of the things and the issues that come to light is wear on the chain bar groove itself if inferior oil is used together with signs of overheating.....this is fairly significant if the saw has a 3' bar!
The anti fling lubricant has a disadvantage of gumming up the saw wholesale in the clutch area, whilst the thinner stuff disappears.

Yes, Thanks John. Sounds convincing particularly when combined with the following 2 things I was unaware of:

Am told that Stihl add a substance that provides Rheopecty. The property of a liquid to increase viscosity under stress(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheopecty) and that my saw lacks an oil flow control common to most saws.

Well thats a new one on me.....thanks!
Some saws have a variable oil control, and some have a hand pump for an extra squirt too - quite good ideas, really.
Do you have a Stihl machine?
P.S Noticed a saw in an auction recently, all with the correct Stihl colour schemes - but on the bar cover was written Sthil :p
Oriental copy, I suspect - but a good one!
J

Oriental copies. According to the telly the chinese employ 20 million, think they said, political prisoners to help turn out my washing machine, compacter plate, etc etc. I suppose that means I'm benefitting from slave labour.

I use a Makita 1800 watt saw. Presumably set up, without an oil controller, to use the gluey oil they recommend.It doesn't wake the neighbours and adequate for smaller trees. Anything big and I get a professional to fell and leave for me to dismantle.

These saws are dangerous enough used on the ground. No way am I going up a tree with one. Except with the Makita Li-ion 18v chainsaw. Impressive for something that looks like a toy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back