Chalet Wiring - with Pics!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a chalet. I can only occupy it from Easter until the end of Sept. I only own the building not the land. It's the same as buying a static caravan on a site.

Does this count as a dwelling for the Electricity Regs?

The reason I ask is the state of the wiring. The meter and CU are in the garage and I got e-on to change the meter.

wire1a.jpg

wire3.jpg

Fred

Sponsored Links
the wiring is in a mess.
Why didn't they use conduit for outside runs!!

Sponsored Links
Here is the CU and new meter installed by e-on.

new_meter.jpg

I had the meter changed as it was old (01/84) and only rated at 60A and I wanted to install a shower. The guy from e-on said the company fuse will have to be changed and thicker tails fitted to the i/p of the meter. He didn't comment on the rest of the wiring!

Not too smart :(

that socket looks very very old and is noy a good sign. i would say nearer 40 years old than 30.

I hope that meter cabinet is protected from the weather?

Looks like you have no RCD protection which would be a Good Idea as your installation looks a bit ropy. It would not be difficult to add but it looks like there is much more work needed.

I guess you are not a recently-retired electrician wanting to do a bit of timkering.

I can't see a better solution than a complete rewire :(

Sorry.

p.s. I think I see T&E, not flex, in that plug. this is wrong. the earthing connection looks amateurish. if you ask your supplier they will probably give you a better earth. it might cost £50 to £100 which will be money well spent.

Is that an EC14 on the incoming cable? :shudder:

Why didn't he fit new tails & fuse? Or can't he?

I guess it is capable of supplying 100A, then? Not like your average caravan site supply?.........

CaravanParkDistributionBox.jpg

The CU, meter etc are in the garage. The man from e-on thought it was damp so he prodded the mounting board and was satisfied. This was taken before the meter was changed.

garage1.jpg

Here's a closeup of the CU. (It's newer than the one in my home. That dates to 1975and has rewireable fuses)
cu.jpg

The plug goes to the garage light.

Fred

The LeGrand MCB at the LHS is not correct, a pity as the correct part would only cost about a fiver.

The plug and socket for the garage light should be replaced by a switched FCU with 5A cartridge fuse. You can do that.i

If I bought a chalet like that, I'm sure I would find that MEM CU was stuffed with RCBOs when I moved in ;)

However adding them afterwards is notifiable work, and the condition looks generally poor so I don't know if
there's anything others would suggest, short of a complete rewire :confused: There may be circuits that are good
enough to re-use, but if you're paying someone, inspection, test and rectification may be slower and no cheaper.

The MEM unit may be newish and a lot better than a rewirable board but there is no RCD protection to the socket outlets.

The plug and socket for the garage light should be replaced by a switched FCU with 5A cartridge fuse. You can do that.

I would like to keep a socket there to power tools etc. (via an RCD of course)

The only work I have done, so far, is to replace the two double sockets in the lounge with switched sockets and to replace the ONLY socket in the kitchen (apart from the one on the cooker control unit). That socket was cracked and full of greenish gunge. (no pics I'm afraid)

Green slime! :p

That is caused by a defect in the cable. For a short time the materials used for insulation were of a kind that reacts with copper.

Look for any cable with this fault, replace the cable and the accessories.

Replacement of damaged cable is not notifiable. Changing or adding sockets and switches is not notifiable.

I think the green slime was caused by liquid getting into the socket judging from gunge on the surface of the socket. The cables looked ok. The socket is hidden down the right side of the hob unit. It feeds the fridge.
This is the 70s kitchen!
kit1.jpg

Get it a few sparks in to quote on rewire.
I think the best remedy for all the circuit cables running from the garage, would be to put a submain into a second CU in the main building :idea:

It also means you don't have to go outside in the rain when you get a trip ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back