Chances of planning and design choices for Bungalow Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my large open loft would be very straightforward to add two to three bedrooms and a bathroom up there, but just one bedroom and bathroom would be ideal as there's plenty of rooms downstairs and I would like to keep the feel of the place as is, but also keep options open to maximise value should I come to sell.

Ideally would just like a small to medium dormer out front as per below, maybe a bit bigger than shown, then if there were to be any other rooms then velux would do, and they could go on the rear if need be.

There are 4 of our bungalows in a row, all slightly different but most with gables and all on a similar theme. Two doors down a larger house recently had a big new two story extension with dormers facing the front, built with no issue so I'd like to think it would all sit in nicely and not distract. The neighbours either side shouldn't object as they have expressed an interest to do the same at some point. We face a lane and open fields out front with houses at both diagonals opposite and one is listed - but they were happy when consulted under a previous planning application for my rear single storey extension - although they couldn't see that obviously.

I'll try and line up an informal chat with planning soon but any initial comments on my chances,? plus if it goes ahead should I do the structurals and build for the full length for the floor even though I only want to covert the right third of the place at the moment so it could facilitate additional rooms being added easily at a later date?. Estate agent encouraged to put at least 2 bedrooms up there so I could put the rear velux for those in the planning app now or do I hold back in case it all looks too ambitious?

Cheers

Screenshot 2022-10-20 at 10.22.13.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is no reason for the council to refuse an application which ccomplies with their local planning policies.

It's not about "chance".

You don't design a loft conversion around a dormer! You design the internal layout, primarily on need/requirements, build ability, regulatory and structural considerations, then design suitable roof dormers or windows.

That dormer for instance, looks random and neither aligns nor harmonises with anything.

There is no reason for the council to refuse an application which ccomplies with their local planning policies.

It's not about "chance".

You don't design a loft conversion around a dormer! You design the internal layout, primarily on need/requirements, build ability, regulatory and structural considerations, then design suitable roof dormers or windows.

That dormer for instance, looks random and neither aligns nor harmonises with anything.
Thanks Woody,

Understand where you are coming from but there is some method to my madness..... both a structural guy and my builder have eyed it up and said I can pretty much do what I want internally (lots of space / the bungalow is quite deep with 2 rear gables already) but "it's whether planning will let you stick a dormer on the front".

A friend had a right set to with planning when applying for some roof mods, their main objection was "it looked too cottagey". You try finding the word cottagey in the Local Plan here .... and we are out in the countryside, its full of bloody cottages :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

The red shape on the drawing was just a generic blob to show the rough position, I'll get the architect to draw something that blends nicely with the existing gable - but I didn't want to start throwing money his way until I was a little more sure about planning's thoughts on dormers on front of bungalows, I did read somewhere there were debates about clamping down on bungalow conversions due to the stock being used up by converting in to houses, not sure how true though.

Whilst some local plan policies are very specific with regards to domestic extensions, sometimes they maybe less than half an A4 page and will mention nothing about dormers or whatever it is you want to develop, bear in mind woody lives in woody land, it seems that your proposals will be acceptable but nobody can say for certain unless you go for it, why would you go for such a small dormer though?

Sponsored Links
Whilst some local plan policies are very specific with regards to domestic extensions, sometimes they maybe less than half an A4 page and will mention nothing about dormers or whatever it is you want to develop, bear in mind woody lives in woody land, it seems that your proposals will be acceptable but nobody can say for certain unless you go for it, why would you go for such a small dormer though?

Our local plan seemed more of a very long rambling !

The red blob is just a rough position, I'll get the architect to lay out some designs that work and I really want it to sit nicely for that kerb appeal look, and yes the bigger the better as there are stunning views out front, but I don't want to push it with planning.

Design is everything with planning. There is nothing wrong with a dormer that looks like it's supposed to there.

Planning regulations are not intended to stop development, they are there to facilitate it. However, there are and must be guidelines, else things end up looking like a favela.

Most Councils have the option of a Pre-Planning Meeting which allows you to pitch your ideas and designs and get feedback from them before you go to the expense of submitting a Planning app which may be thrown out. The fact that the house two doors away has dormers to the front shows that there is a precedent for that so that should not be an issue.
May be worth also going on the local Council Planning Apps website and having a peek at the neighbours plans as they may be some info or ideas you can adopt.

In your opinion maybe but it is worth speaking with the council as they all have different criterias dependant on the area, property, bylaws etc..

Have a search on the forum as to the process, cost and what pre-planning involves, enlighten yourself.

Most Councils have the option of a Pre-Planning Meeting which allows you to pitch your ideas and designs and get feedback from them before you go to the expense of submitting a Planning app which may be thrown out. The fact that the house two doors away has dormers to the front shows that there is a precedent for that so that should not be an issue.
May be worth also going on the local Council Planning Apps website and having a peek at the neighbours plans as they may be some info or ideas you can adopt.
Pre planning is generally for the principle, and not the detail.

The OP is worrying over nothing. He should just read any planning policy or supplementary home holder design guidance, and submit an app based on that. If things need changing, he'll get the chance, the app won't be just refused. But there should be no reason to worry at all about this sort of application in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back