chandelier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a five arm chandelier and one of the bulbs went out.The bulbs are 40 watt screw in and i previously put a 60 watt in by mistake .This worked for a while and then went out. Now I tried to put a 40 watt in and this arm on the fitting does not work. Could I have damaged the contact inside this arm. Any help would be appreciated because the fitting is very heavy and i don`t really want to do a Del Boy and Rodney and take it down to have it fixed and tested.

Sponsored Links
Possible burn off of a wire on the lampholder in question or the contact 'tang' has lost it's spring and it is not in contact with the 'tit' on the lamp.

You mean nipple, surely.

Get a multimeter and check there's a voltage on the contacts.

Err...

I would so advise testing dead for continuity between the contacts in the flaky one and known good ones than poking around inside a live lampholder with the probes you get with 99.999999% of multimeters... :eek:

Particularly as they are quite likely to be E14s....

Sponsored Links
Possible burn off of a wire on the lampholder in question or the contact 'tang' has lost it's spring and it is not in contact with the 'tit' on the lamp.

Is it dangerous to try to mess about with the contact tang.Obviously i will turn the power off first.

Try and pull the centre contact towards you.

If it doesn't feel springy or is loose then it probably wont press on the lamp contact as well as it should if at all.

Some have another tang for the side contact rather than use the screw part even if it is metal.
It may have broken and fallen away.

Is the lamp pointing up or down, the only time a 60 watt would usually damage a 40 watt fitting is due to the extra heat which is usually the problem with a downward lamp causing the heat to rise damaging the lampholder or wires.

Is the lamp pointing up or down, the only time a 60 watt would usually damage a 40 watt fitting is due to the extra heat which is usually the problem with a downward lamp causing the heat to rise damaging the lampholder or wires.

Thank you for your reply.
The fitting is pointing down and looking inside at it from the floor it doesn`t look burnt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back