Changed an old Led light to pendant and it keeps shorting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently just replaced an old LED ceiling light with a simple pendant and as soon as I switch it on it shorts.

I've made sure that I kept everything in place but as soon as I switch it on, POP it trips.

Pictures are attached http://imgur.com/a/UWghz, any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Well something is wrong. But tbh I can't really tell what's going on from the photos.

How many reds and how many blacks do you have? You appear to have two blacks into your switched live (but I can't be sure) this is unlikely to be correct.

If you can separate your connectors a bit better so we can actually see where things go and how many conductors are in each I might be able to help a bit more. Maybe someone else can interpret your photos a bit better

There are 4 reds which are connected to one another, 3 blacks connected to one another and then connected to the neutral on the light fitting , another black which is connected to the live on the light fitting and 4 earths all connected to earth

I'd guess you've mixed up the black switched live with a black neutral. Do you have a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
There are 4 reds which are connected to one another, 3 blacks connected to one another and then connected to the neutral on the light fitting , another black which is connected to the live on the light fitting and 4 earths all connected to earth

Thanks for all the photos, unfortunately they still aren't quite clear.

Your written description sounds like it may be correct.

Is it possible the black on it's own has got mixed up with another black?

Typically there should be a black on it's own (the switched live), perhaps you've muddled them.

Then, with the power off. Take all of the blacks out of the blocks a separate them.

With your multimeter set to continuity or Ω's test between the permanent lives (the 4 reds) and each black. Do it with the switch closed until it beeps/shows continuity, then whilst still testing, get a helper to operate the switch a couple of times. It should show up on the meter. This will indicate you have found your switch wire.

Connect the other blacks to neutral, the black that you identify to switch live. And the rest should be ok.

Then, with the power off. Take all of the blacks out of the blocks a separate them.

With your multimeter set to continuity or Ω's test between the permanent lives (the 4 reds) and each black. Do it with the switch closed until it beeps/shows continuity, then whilst still testing, get a helper to operate the switch a couple of times. It should show up on the meter. This will indicate you have found your switch wire.

Connect the other blacks to neutral, the black that you identify to switch live. And the rest should be ok.

Just to be clear off at the breaker?

We have light, thanks so much for the help, it worked perfectly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back