Changeover Switch

sorry this is getting to complex for waht we want to do!!

Can I ask the question another way, and for the purpose of answers we assume all supplies are equal.

building C is wired up with circuits and is supplied by cable C (non energised)

in a position were cable C terminates I have supply A and supply B
I want to energise cable C by way of changeover switch form either Supply A or B or possibly have supply to C switched in off position within changeover switch.

It is single phase,

I have looked at a 63 amp 3 pole changeover switch..is ther any reason for this not being the right switchgear for me to do what i require.

Russell

Sponsored Links
What's to stop your neighbour switching the changeover switch to use your supply when he's doing some work? :confused:

Sssssshh
Thats my plan to do with him!!!

No we generally wont bother with whose supply is being used
Its when i go away for 3 months (which i do) i can trip the fuse in my cottage so i am not energising the supply to changeover switch...he could do the same!!

What's to stop your neighbour switching the changeover switch to use your supply when he's doing some work? :confused:

That occured to me too. If you really don't get on to the extent that you don't trust each other to apportion a bill, then you will need a switch locked in a cupboard with two locks, both keyholders having to be present to change it over.
Also, having agreeably swapped over to say, your supply, you will need to padlock the premises to prevent him getting in at night and playing with his train set at your expense.

Sponsored Links
I have looked at a 63 amp 3 pole changeover switch..is ther any reason for this not being the right switchgear for me to do what i require.
Strtictly speaking you need a Transfer Switching Equipment complying with EN60947-6-1 to switch between supplies. However I can't see any reason why you couldn't use the changeover switch to switch between what would effectively be 2 conductors of the same supply.

it's ugly as sin though
IMO you have an odd idea of what's ugly in the context of stuff in a weatherproof enclosure associated with an outbuilding - looks just fine to me.

KMT5B37I.JPG

I'm sure Moeller must do one in jaunty red and yellow.... ;)

If it really is found to be offensive, how about one of these mounted in an enclosure with a non-transparent cover?

0003.jpg

Would need the legends labelled over to avoid confusion though, and there's no off position, but if it's not too late to influence the choice of CU for the outbuildings it could be housed in that.

Would also need the warning notice about multiple points of isolation, in case you were working on the wiring and the neighbour threw the changeover.

I can't make up my mind if this would be notifiable or not.

Do you have a link to that second c/o switch ban?

Image URL indicates here: http://www.controlgeardirect.co.uk/catalogue.html

I am not sure on the electricity supply regs regarding two supplies within the same enclosure and mixing of earthing systems - I would not be happy with it.

Could you not put two 32 or 63amp sockets in the first building, one from each supply, and then have a 32 or 63amp plug on the end of some suitably sized flex which comes out of an isolator or similar? You would be completely swapping from one supply to the other then, and you could padlock the socket OFF if you chose an interlocked type, or included a rotary isolator too.

Would also need the warning notice about multiple points of isolation, in case you were working on the wiring and the neighbour threw the changeover.
Jolly good point.

Those jaunty red & yellow switches which Moeller make will take padlocks.

Or make sure the outbuilding CU incomer is lockable.

I can't make up my mind if this would be notifiable or not.
It is.

What ever means you adopt to switch the Live and Neutral you need to be very careful about how the three CPC's ( earths ) are connected or NOT connected.

In most cases connecting the CPC from two different properties is either not reccommended, not permitted or otherwise not a good idea.

Exporting a CPC to an out building can be problematic and often using a local ground rod and configure the installation as TT is the better option.

In you application the two supply cables from the houses will have a CPC in them and/or have a steel wire armour connected to the CPCs and METs ( earth ) in the houses.

It might be necessary to ensure there is no possibiloity of any connection, intentional or accidental, between the two CPCs and/or steel wire armours of the two supply cables. This will complicate the mechanical assembly of the change over switch and its housing.

You CANNOT switch the CPC of the outbuilding to one or other of the supply CPCs. Switches in a CPC are NOT permitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back