changing a bulb in bathroom sealed downlighter

There is the possibility that it is the type where the whole face screws into the light unit, particularly as it's an IP65 bathroom type.
In which case you don't need to remove the light unit, just try unscrewing the whole face plate.

Sponsored Links
I found this topic useful so thought I'd share my experiences in case anyone else has the same problem.

We have four Flameguard downlighters in our bathroom and after they were left on for the weekend, the glue retaining the glass on the bulbs gave, as did the glass in the bezel, these could be prodded with your finger and were loose behind the bezel.

The Bezels themselves had seized, jammed completely and would not move, it was impossible to get them out of the body of the unit.

The solution was to pull the unit slightly out of the ceiling from below (the springs will give and allow you to pull them out if necessary, then wedge a screwdriver under the edge of the bezel and start levering it off. The bezel then cracked, and it was possible to move around the bezel and snap the remaining pieces off. Where the screw attachment of the Bezel remained in the unit, I removed it with further brute force with a screwdriver.

The bulb could then be removed either by stuffing a towel into the bulb and turning it or twisting it with ones thumbs.

Just need to order four more bezels.

The following link helped me with replacing bulb on B&Q sealed downlighter in bathroom. It seems the sealed bezel for mine pulls out of the unit in ceiling, just needs a bit of force. The sealed bezel is clipped into unit and bulb is clipped into bezel. Alternatively remove full unit with sealed bezel attached from ceiling by holding in the clips tight to the unit while pulling unit out. The clips will make appearance when unit pulled from ceiling by about 5 cm. Once unit is out then bezel easier to remove from unit but by that stage could remove bulb without removing bezel.

http://www.poolelighting.com/uploads/pdfs/recessed shower.pdf

Hope this helps someone...

Sponsored Links
image.png
I know this a old tread but I might get lucky and get some good advise.
Just replaced gu 10 bulbs in the kitchen with led and it was quite easy as all I had to do was remove a clip inside the metal disc and the blub dropped out.
I've looked st my bathroom light and I've noticed no clip or way to remove the blub, it's like there sealed in, but if I pull hard enough the whole light unit pulls down a little. Could anyone advise please.

Read the whole thread above.
There are several types of bathroom downlight but none of them require the whole fitting has to be removed from the ceiling to change the lamp.

The bezel that is in front of the lamp will come out by one of the following:
-Just pulling it down to separate it from the ceiling mount
-A quarter turn anti clockwise
-Further unscrewing

Unfortunately, time and heat does make this tricky sometimes.

Thank you for you input, going to try and tackle it next week, got visions of making a right mess of the ceiling or breaking them

I found this a useful link - And wanted to add the importance of watching your fingers.

Changing the lights is easier in respect, no wiring is involved. So less likely to blow yourself up but you are more likely to loose your fingers. I actually wore gardening gloves when pulling the light out. You need a bit of effort to pull them through and once out a little you should be able to see the springs and I then wedged a knife in to ease the springs up to release.

So as mentioned by WabbitPoo above - think "mousetraps" really good advice as you could be taken by surprise if unaware.

DSC_1639.JPG DSC_1638.JPG

Hi everyone,

I am having a similar issue. I have the below fire rated downlights in my bathroom but I couldn't manage to open them to change the bulb inside. Any idea how could I open these? I tried pushing up, twisting but no luck. Seems like they are fully merged with the ceiling.

https://imgur.com/a/oUqu5VN

Many thanks!

They are "merged" with the ceiling because some muppet has used sealant round the fitting and painted it. Youll need to get a sharp knife, and remove the sealant. Then turn the downlight bezel, it should undo from the bit that stays in the ceiling and give you access to the lamp.

Can anyone help with a similar issue? Pictures below - not great but was hard to take while holding the light! These are Knightsbridge spotlights, I have taken the face plate off and am left with the lights as per the pictures. The bulb is blush to the plate thats left and I can't see how to pull the whole unit out of the ceiling without being overly forceful with it. I had assumed it would be a simple case of twisting the bulb out, but due to it being flush there is no way to get purchase on the bulb.
Do I need to wriggle the while thing out? I can see the spring but unsure how to make any use of that or how I'd put it back in if I did!

Thanks in advance!

View media item 107293View media item 107294View media item 107295View media item 107296View media item 107297

They are smaller in my original post - copy pasted but now they are huge

full

full

full

full

full

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back