changing a bulb in bathroom sealed downlighter

T

teddyb

Hello

In our bathroom we have sealed downlighters but one has stopped lighting up. Presumably the bulb needs changing. As it is a sealed unit can anyone tell me the best way to approach this job, please?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
How is it sealed?

Often, most bathroom downlighters have a glass front that can be pulled down, or turned a quarter turn, leaving the main body of the fitting still fixed to the ceiling.

Thanks for replying.
I have found the 'model' number if this helps. It's a GU10 IP65 Fire rated downlighter. I tried twisting the glass disc but it is reluctant to move. Should I just try harder? There is no room for fingers!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.
I have found the 'model' number if this helps. It's a GU10 IP65 Fire rated downlighter.
That aint no model number cocka.

GU10 refers to the shape of a bulb (lamp).

IP65 refers to the fitting's Ingress Protection rating.

You'll find the model number on the back of the fitting .... when you get it out ....

PJ

I have these in my bathroom and they are a pain. If it's the same type (B&Q) it will have a shiny metal disc surrounding the light. I gently put a very thin screwdriver under this disc and prised the whole thing off - be careful as the glass bit will fall out! And of course, switch off at the mains first; mine can be isolated by switching off the upstairs lighting circuit at the MCB on the main board, but you might have a different setup, so check it's completely dead before stuffing screwdrivers into it!

Just got back to the computer - thanks everyone for comments.

Could the number be RFS10165GZ-01?

It's not B&Q but from 'The Lighting Company' - if that helps. The invoice also mentions Robus 20-60W Electronic 12V transformer.

Sorry but not able to do pics.

We're all guessing a bit without a piccy but usualy you twist off the metal ring that is in the bathroom which releases the glass and gives access to the bulb. They can be quite stiff as they have a silicon seal between it and the sealing.

Never come across one that needs to be pried off as i say usually a quarter turn and it comes off.

If it is the one i am thinking of you will need to drop the fitting from the ceiling (turn power off first) it should just pull down with the aid of a flat thin screw driver. On the side of the can you will find 2 small philips head screws whitch release the lens assembly and then you can get at the lamp, twist about 20 deg anti clockwise and lamp will drop out

Of the two brands I mostly use, one has a twist off bezel (quarter turn) whch then allows the lamp to drop down, the other is held in by a spring clip and just puls down. Trouble is, from the ground looking up you can never tell what sort you're dealing with.

PJ

OK. I've pulled the metal ring down from the ceiling - but only so far. It's held by 2 springs which act like barbs, preventing me pulling the lamp all the way out. The whole unit will turn a bit but it doesn't feel as though it's turning in anything. I can't see how to get any further!

Those springs can be pulled out of the ceiling along with the lights, as they are clipped on to the light itself. Mind your fingers, though - think "mousetraps".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back