Changing Consumer Units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a follow-on from my thread about Certificates of Conformity, what procedure do most sparks follow here when changing CU's?

When I was s/e, I was always told to snip the seal(s), replace the CU and leave a completion certificate for Norweb to pick up. Then I rang them to make an appointment for them to reseal & collect the CC.

With my current employer, we either arrange for iso's to be fitted, or get the DNO to de/re-energise on the day. This is the first time working for my employer we have been asked to provide a CoC.

Whatare your experiences, and within which DNO's area(s) do you work?

Sponsored Links
Break seal, change CU.

Send completion cert (the actual lecky board one) to DNO (a seperate cert is done for install).

We leave all details blank, just address, and mention "new CU" - they attend, reseal, no charge.

They charge for connecting new tails to meter and PME connection - £25 and £18 respectively.

The DNO (WPD) don't actually suggest this as a method, but it is the unspoken agreement on the ground.

Here is a link to the cert we fax - It isn't the actual form, I cant find it on the net. - http://www.westernpower.co.uk/forms/

Quick question on this one...
How the regional DNO`s react to people having isolators fitted between meter and C.U/distribution board?.
I understand that everything from meter onwards is the property of the consumer and so the DNO`s cant really stop you having an isolator...can they?

I think the issue is one of doing it safely by removing the main fuse so that you don't accidentally kill yourself when handling live tails.

Sounds like they are getting more awkward about letting the installing electrician do it; and also about doing it themselves :rolleyes:

I've long thought that an isolator in the tails is useful to have, though some point out that it adds one more potential point of failure.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they are getting more awkward about letting the installing electrician do it; and also about doing it themselves

Call me cynical but it's nothing to do with safety it's all about making money.

I've long thought that an isolator in the tails is useful to have

Why - how often do you need to isolate the supply to the CU?

A common maintenance activity is to replace an RCD that's past its best; if on a TT supply it will be positioned as main switch.

I also think it's good practice to isolate the supply before opening the CU cover, if you have an isolator to permit this.

Also handy when you need to install an additional CU e.g. for a shower or shed; and if you have two or more CUs, then you need a single point to isolate the whole installation.

My opinion is that a DP isolator will have a longer service life than modern moulded CUs, especially the budget versions.

I know a guy who trades as an electrician who says that he can swap out 4 CU's a day - there is absolutley no way on this earth that he can be doing it correctly (inspection and testing)!!
Takes me at least 1/2 a day to do one!

What do you recon

nozspark said:
I know a guy who trades as an electrician who says that he can swap out 4 CU's a day - there is absolutley no way on this earth that he can be doing it correctly (inspection and testing)!!
Takes me at least 1/2 a day to do one!

What do you recon

We could all do 4 cu changes a day if we cut corners, but if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back