Renewing a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on renewing an old CU. Is this the right way to go about it?

1. Contant DNO and arrange for them to pull the incommer
2. Fit new board
3. Get spark to test installation
4. Get DNO to re-connect
5. Inform LABC

Sponsored Links
For a DIY'er it will be:

1: Inform LABC
2. Contact DNO and arrange for them to fit isolator / pull fuse
3: Change board
4: Inform LABC that you have finished and get them to test
5: Energise!

You need to inform your LABC before you start the work, and then they will arrange for an electrician to test your work for you when it is complete.

WRT the DNO, it will be easier for you if you request that they install a DP isolator, and then they will only need to make 1 visit to your property, which will save you a bit of hassle, and possibly a duplicate fee.

<edit> damn you davy

So there's no need for me to pay a spark myself if the LABC are going to test the install?

Sponsored Links
Nope, the LABC might try to fob you off by expecting you to pay the sparks fee, but it is their responsibility, not yours.

aaronb said:
So there's no need for me to pay a spark myself if the LABC are going to test the install?

As long as you are confident that all is correct as I doubt the LABC will want to hang around while you correct any anomalies.

Ta - I'll get on to them in the mprning and find out how much they charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back