changing dimmer to normal switcher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a dimmer and want to change it to a switcher because i cant use energy saving bulbs with the dimmer.
i have two in one dimmers ie two gang i believe it is called.each one controls a separate light in my hall.
had a look yesterday and it has red,yellow,blue and one yellow and green wire.
would be grateful if someone could show me how to change this to a normal switch so i can use energy saving bulbs.
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you wanting to replace the double dimmer to a double switch?

Pretty streight forwards, turn off the power before doing any work and make sure it is off. If you look at the wiring behind the dimmer switch there will be a wire into one switch with a loop of wire to the other switch. This wire will need to connect to the C and loop to the other C in the new switch.
The other two wires go into L1, one in each switch.
If the switch works upside down, swop the wire for L1 to L2.
If the markings on the back of the new switch are not C, L1, L2 post back.

Sponsored Links
many thanks. i will have a look this evening. all a bit scary!!!!!!!!!!
thanks again

sorry for my ignorance but when you say the switch works upside down, what do you mean?
thanks

are there any ratings for the switcher i need to buy? ie watts. or will any double switcher from b and q do the jobs? thanks

A bog standard switch should do for what you want to. If you don't have an earth wire in there then you should only install a plastic switch.

thanks spark123. there is a cable coloured green and yellow apart from the other three cables. i assume that is the earth and that stays at where it is already connected?

Yes, if the new switch is plastic then leave the earth where it is.

the currrent switch(dimmer) is metal.i will therefore replace with a metal switch and leave the earth where it is. i hope that is correct and i appreciate your patience.thanks again

Oh right, if the switch is metal then the earth is better in the earth terminal on the switch plate.

many thanks everyone, especially spark123. got the switch done and they are working fine.

sorry for my ignorance but when you say the switch works upside down, what do you mean?
thanks

He means if, when you wire it all up, and make the switch look like this:
hl91y.jpg

both bulbs should be illuminated

If either bulb is not illuminated, it needs the relevant wire(s) swapping from L1 <--> L2. This allows the switch to operate in line with how a UK person would presume to switch the light on (push the bottom of the rocker)

hello,
reference to above ie changing from dimmers to switches to enable me use energy saving bulbs- when i switch my lights on, one of the lights comes on instantly.however the other one takes a second or two before coming on. is this something to worry about or is this normal.
i thought they should both come on instantly.
all the other switches are working fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back