Changing euro cylinder with guard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Attempting to change over a euro cylinder on a UPVC door. Unable to take out the cylinder after removing the retaining screw. After removing the handles, was greeted with this. No visible way of easily removing the guard from what I can see - does anybody have any experience of dealing with this?

Thank you,

Attachments

• IMG-20201220-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20201220-WA0002.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG-20201220-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20201220-WA0001.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
Is it not the Allen key on the front? Have you tried putting the key in and tried to turn and remove that way?

That was my first thought too, but it will not budge even under excessive force. I've tried every possible key position too and it will not come out.

Daft question, you have removed the screw that screws into euro lock?

Sponsored Links
It certainly looks as though the allen key screw needs removed. Look further down this forum section to a thread titled 'Composite Door Lock' seems to be a similar setup although theirs had a torx type screw.

Unless it's been thread locked in, it's a shield to give the cylinder extra strength in case of a snap attack, the cylinder could never have been fitted with that in place so the shield has to be removed

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Although this isn't any help to the original poster, I'm glad to see such a device exists to improve security with Euro locks re lock snapping. I can't believe that nothing is being done about this obvious flaw in Euro cylinder design, and I would have thought the industry would be working on a much stronger, snap proof profile (they would improve door security and would be able to sell lots of them to the public, so it's a win win solution).
Have you tried putting an allen key into the bolt and then tapping it with a hammer? (Not hitting it ridiculously hard, but just tapping it progressively harder - that might break the thread lock, if there is any.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back