1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How are these locks changed?

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by twixx, 4 Nov 2018.

1. twixx

twixx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I’ve changed normal Euro cylinders in the past without a hitch.

We’ve a just moved into a new home and I’d like to change the locks out of good practice, however, these locks seem to be different to what I’m used to.

Im guessing they’re just normal Euro cylinders but that I’m missing something that’s preventing their release.

I’ve removed the holding screw... only when I loosen the T25 screw pictured does the cylinder consider moving. But it seems to be held somewhere else.

The doors are SBD if that makes any difference?

Any clues on changing the cylinder?

Attached Files:

2. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    SBD = secure by design

That 'thing' with the allen bolt in is likely to be a collar to protect the end of the barrel from snapping, remove to remove the barrel and replace afterwards

3. Sponsored Links
  4. twixx

twixx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply @crank39

Is collar the correct terminology, im still struggling to remove this and im struggling to find any reference material online :(

I wondered if this was a bespoke feature of the "secure by design" door... hence why I cannot find anything.

5. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    The allen bolt will go through the gearbox case for the mechanism and bolt into the the collar on the other side, note it has a tiny grub screw clamping one half of the collar to the cylinder, the other half just slides on and is held with the said allen bolt. Remove the cylinder retaining screw and allen bolt and slide the cylinder out with the collar still attached to it(its attached with the grub you can't get access to while in situ)

cylinder_guard.600.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. twixx

twixx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply again @crank39 , I had another poke at the weekend, and was able to detach the cylinder. I was initially trying to release the full collar, but on Sunday found the collar splits in half revealing a 30/30mm cylinder!

[​IMG]

8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local