changing flooring direction between rooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to lay a laminate floor in my mums flat an I'm a bit unsure about what direction to lay it in. I know it should lay in the direction of the incoming light which means I can lay the kitchen and living room in the same direction. This would mean the the floor would be going across the hallway rather than length ways though.

So, is it best to use a threshold between living room and hallway and change direction of the flooring or will it look ok laid across the hallway. I've added a quick drawing so you can see what I mean.

Thanks,

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 112
Sponsored Links
if you lay flooring lengthways on a corridor it makes it appear long and thin. If you lay it acrossways, it makes it appear wider. So go ahead and lay it crossways! You can use the good sized off cuts to start the next row, to give random distribution, or you can attempt to do it half bond if a single board is long enough.

Nozzle

But it can look a bit bitty in a small corridor. I would nearly always lay lengthways down a hallway. But it is just a matter of preference.
You should really break the flooring at all doorways regardless of which way it runs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies so far. The rooms are only quite small and there will be less than 10 running metres so I was planning to have the kitchen and living room without a break (but good expansion gaps around frames etc) and then put an threshold expansion gap between the living room and hallway. I was just wondering if it would look daft having the flooring change direction between the hall and living room. When I did my own house it wasn't an issue due to the layout so everything went in the same direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back