Changing Kitchen Light Set Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have two lights in my kitchen controlled by two seperate one way switches. One of the switches is at the end of the kitchen and one is by the entrance door. Its a bit of a pain having to walk to the end of the kitchen to turn the second light on. Having safely isolated the circuit, I can see that there is one cable of T&E running into each light fitting which I believe indicates junction box wiring. Although I have not lifted any floor boards to check this.

How would I remove the switch at the end of the kitchen and wire both lights up to a two gang switch by the door?

Kind Regards.

Sponsored Links
Whats present at the switches? If its just a single piece of T&E then you simply need to move the existing switch T&E to the other switch position and replace the existing switch plate with a 2 gang switch.

Unless you want one switch to control both lights?

Problem being with that solution is that the switches are at either end of the room. :confused: The op would need to re-run one cable to the other end of the room or get under the floor boards to link the two lights. (notifiable?)

Sponsored Links
So if you want to completely do away with the far switch, just move the cable to the other end?

Isnt there still going to be a requirement to turn the light on in the far position?

Seems a bit odd that there would be a switch there, if it wasnt beside an door?

Aragorn84,

I want to control both lights seperately but from the same switch (hope that makes sense).

When you say move the cable to the other end, do you mean wire the switch cable of the far switch to the new two gang switch?

Kind Regards.

Yes, just move the switch wire from where it currently is, to the new position.

If its not long enough, then ideally you want to replace the whole cable with a longer length, rather than attempting to join it.

It sounds as though you have the switch wires linked to the light fittings rather then through a junction box. In that case it would be easier to lift boards in the room above, disconnect the switch wires (making safe in a terminal box and marking for possible future use) and running a new cable from there to your new 2-gang switch. This will no doubt require chasing out to the new position. Sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of gain. :confused:

Is the far switch ever likely to be used?

If so, keep it at that position, and create two way switching from here and the nearer position.

You would need to run 3 core and earth 1.0/1.5 mm2 cable between both switches.

The far switch would become a 1 gang 2 way switch.
The near switch would become a 2 gang 2 way switch.

Gentlemen, thank you for the replies, all very useful, I will let you know how I got on.

Kind Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back