Changing light pendant to one that only has live, earth and neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm changing a light pendant, one of two in the hallway controlled by a 3 way light switch, however the new one only has live, earth and neutral connections. I have three pairs of black and red, one black with a red sleeve and need help as to how to wire this new fitting. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20221218_124952.jpg
    20221218_124952.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20221218_125025.jpg
    20221218_125025.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Shuffles from side to side looking at feet! I didn't take any before photos. Can I identify the wires required with my non-comtact voltage pen?

Sponsored Links
Then the black ones are likely neutrals and need to be connected together (including the blue from the light) and the black with red sleeve is the switch line that needs to go with the light‘s brown.

Yes you are right @RandomGrinch. I've just remembered that it was the plasterers that removed the old fittings hence no photo of how they were wired.

So all the red wires should be wired in live of the new fitting including the switched live? So that's 5 wires into one live terminal? Then all the blacks wired to neutral terminal on the new fitting?

No. Clue, you said
"I know three red wires were wired up to the loop connection in the old pendant."

So all the red wires should be wired in live of the new fitting including the switched live?
No, only the switched live connects to the live of the new fitting.
The four other reds should be connected together in a separate connector.

For situations like this, I have often used lighting connectors:

They allow easier wiring and the ability to simply unplug a light fitting; particularly useful if the fitting is high and heavy!
They do need a bit of space to push up into the ceiling though.

Thank you for your clear explanation @RandomGrinch. Could I use a connector block for the lives and just screw two in each side?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218_154412_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_154412_Chrome.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 42
I've just tried wiring it with switch live in light fitting live, all the blacks in neutral of light fitting and the reds wired into the connector block, two each side, and it's not working.

I've just tried wiring it with switch live in light fitting live, all the blacks in neutral of light fitting and the reds wired into the connector block, two each side, and it's not working.
Are there any other light switches controlling this switch?
Do the other lights on that circuit still work?
Can you temporarily connect up the old pendant and see if that works?

The first switch on the 3 gang light switch still returns the landing light on.
The landing light is probably on a different (upstairs) circuit.
So, you’ve wired it according to the instructions above and it doesn’t work.
Show us a picture of the wiring, maybe there’s a misunderstanding!

And this light, is there perhaps another one that comes on at the same time..
ie on the same switch?

Do the two hallway lights work from the same switch ,or is there a switch for each one ?
Have you blown any fuses or tripped any circuit breakers whilst working on these wires ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back