Changing sockets - position of switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know these are easy to change/swap over but...we are planning on swapping our plain white light switches and wall sockets to brushed aluminium style ones.

My question is, when buying new wall sockets, is the position of the switches on the sockets important? We have a double socket for example which has the switches to the right of each socket, but want to buy ones that have both switches between the sockets.

Basics I kniw but I'm not an electrician.

Sponsored Links
No, switch location makes no difference.

The most common issues are either wires being too short to connect to the new sockets (the position of the terminals varies considerably), and old lighting circuits not having any earth connections (which metal switches require).

Sponsored Links
but want to buy ones that have both switches between the sockets.
Be aware that fumbing fingers can turn the wrong switch when they are that close together.

I like these

mk-switched-double-socket-13amp-double-pole-outside-rockers-1164-p.jpg

II couldn't find an image of aluminium ones with the switches in the corners instead of in the middle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back