Changing Standard Lamp Plugs For 5A Round Pins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just moved into a new place with a separate lighting circuit already built in with the round 3 pin 5A sockets controlled by dimmer switches.

I presume it will be ok to simply change the 'normal' off the shelf plugs on the two bedside lamps and a couple of standard lamps in another room to make use of these?

The lights all have standard bulbs and there would only be max of 4 in use. This shouldn't overload anything should it? Am I missing anything obvious that I should bear in mind?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If someone has put sockets for lamps on the lighting circuit it is reasonable to assume that they designed the lighting circuit to accomodate thier load. Might be an idea to check though.

What is the breaker on the circuit with theese sockets?
are there any other lights on the same circuit as theese sockets?

Thanks for the tip.

No other lights on the same circuit. Well as far as the dimmer switches don't turn anything else on!

Don't know what the breaker on the circuit is, i'll have to check things more thoroughly tomorrow. It's a pretty new build, was only completed 3 years ago.

when you change the standard 13A plugs for round pin ones try and get fused plugs as some are available without fuses so will not protect the cable although if the cct has been engineered correctly it will probably have a 6A mcb protecting it.

Sponsored Links
Just out of interest where can you get the 5 amp plugs with fuses?

All the places I tried said either they don't make them fused anymore or they have never made them fused?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back