changing switches to sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have just had gas central heating installed, and would like to turn 2 of the old wall mounted switches that supplied power to electric convector heaters in the bedrooms into sockets.

However, when I removed the front of the switch, I found that there are 2 red, 2 black and 2 earth wires coming into each box. Should I join these corresponding wires together to go onto the new socket faceplate?

Also, the old switches have a front mounted fuse cover and a switch that was used to operate the heaters. The new socket faceplates don't have a fuse point. Have I got the wrong sockets?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, we have just had gas central heating installed, and would like to turn 2 of the old wall mounted switches that supplied power to electric convector heaters in the bedrooms into sockets.
Did they work on a separate off-peak supply?

However, when I removed the front of the switch, I found that there are 2 red, 2 black and 2 earth wires coming into each box. Should I join these corresponding wires together to go onto the new socket faceplate?
Yes, and also take a separate green/yellow wire from the socket earth terminal to the earth terminal on the back box.

Also, the old switches have a front mounted fuse cover and a switch that was used to operate the heaters. The new socket faceplates don't have a fuse point. Have I got the wrong sockets?
No.

Any help much appreciated.
You seem not to know much - you'll find useful links to where you can learn more here:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=60849#60849

Plus of course the Wiki and the whole For Reference sticky...

:eek: oh dear..

none of your sockets have fuses... they're in the plugs... :rolleyes:

The fuses are in the plugs!!!!......god my head is mince at the moment. Can't believe I didn't realise that. So sorry guys. Electrics aren't my strong point (I take it you guessed that!), but I will have a look at the links and try to improve my chances of not making myself look like a total wazzick in future.

By the way, the heaters weren't on a seperate off-peak supply. They could be switched on at any time. We had storage heaters downstairs though which were.

Anyway, hope I gave you a laugh, and thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Id recommend also buying a plug in socket tester from the DIY as this will tell you if the new sockets have been wired up right.
Its not the only test that should be done but for DIY work its better than the old "ah well its working why worry"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back