Changing towel rail valves over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Both the valves are leaking on a towel rail (not the pipework) so need to replace them. Don't seem to tighten on removal of the cover. Not thermostatic, ten years old and presumably been cheap.

I'm happy to attempt this and have located a drain valve for the combi CH system but can I just drain the towel rail? I am assuming I could close other TRV's and would have to close the other valve on each of the rest of the radiators too. Anything I need to know here? I would quite like to do this because the ground floor occupant below seems to be constantly in and the drain runs on to their garden near the building so ideally don't want gallons of water running out!

I shall try to find similar looking valves but assume I might have to relocate the towel rail on the wall slightly which will be a nuisance.

Lastly, as much for my general interest, can you have a TRV on all radiators? For some reason I was always under the impression a combi system should have one radiator always "open" but maybe this isn't true. Any recommendations for valves welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Couple of photos of tr would help.

Attach hosepipe over drain cock an drain into nearest gulley/kerb drain.

Close valves on all other rads and you should just be able to drop the water not in rads. Bearing in mind that your TRVs might let a trickle go by them if they have a frost setting or are worn (decorator caps on them would be better but unlikely you have those?).
Might be best to just drain the lot and do a mains flush through whilst you're at it, the add new inhibitor when refilling for final time... fill first without chemicals to check that you don't have any leaks on new connections otherwise you'll likely be wasting £20 down the drain when you have to drop the lot and redo it!

Thanks for your reply, I didn't seem to get an email alert that there was one.

I think I probably do favour draining the whole system. What's the routine on bleed nipples for draining/re-filling?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, I didn't seem to get an email alert that there was one.

I think I probably do favour draining the whole system. What's the routine on bleed nipples for draining/re-filling?

Thanks

When draining, as level drops open upstairs vents then downstairs. Do them all up again when empty. Then, on refill, bleed lower rads first then upstairs ones. If single storey property just do the one floor :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back