'Charities'

Talk about many a true word said in jest this is absolutely spot on, one often pondered. Like RNLI(who i do make regular donations to) and various other rescue services living off charities, cancer care etc. Where the f is our money going!

Edit to say if RNLI started advertising bloated corpses staring into the camera bobbing around at sea i would stop my giving.

Sponsored Links
These charities that are asking for a monthly committment have shot themselves in the feet in my opinion.
We have regular standing orders to a couple of charities - St Francis hospice and Cancer research but we used to donate to two others. After several warnings, I cancelled them when they kept phoning up and asking for either one-off extra donations or to increase our monthly donation. We still give the same total amount so the two we still support are now getting more.

FWIW, I think JG should do the right thing and waive their fees re the Captain.

Last edited:
this means JustGiving will keep around £300,000
Apparently Just giving donated £100k to the fund too.. don't know if it was done early or in response to the media and their cut of the funds..

Sponsored Links
Apparently Just giving donated £100k to the fund too.. don't know if it was done early or in response to the media and their cut of the funds..
Yes you can't help but feel it was best done quick to stop any inquisitive moles digging under the surface. As securespark has rightly pointed out i think they should give the rest minus banking handling fees of course. Most of the back end work here is purely transaction based and automated.

Amongst others I give £3 per month to WWF and told them to stop asking for an increase or I would cancel it.

Not sure of recent figures but some time ago Oxfam spent £18 million on a promotion that raised £28 million.

But if Oxfam can provide water for a whole village for £2 per month, why do Southern Water want £300 a year to supply just my house!

I had some bloke knock at my door a few years ago asking for me to do a standing order to 'help some animal charity'. He showed me a laminated leaflet. I asked him for a brochure, as he had a backpack on. He told me the back pack was only full of standing orders.
I then said to him that I would donate to the fund when there are no child charities left.

Andy

FWIW, I think JG should do the right thing and waive their fees re the Captain.

Just giving are not a charity, as a business anything they give, directly or by reducing fees, is a good thing, and I don't think they,or any business/person should be shamed into giving. A lot on here will have their own reasons for giving or not giving to a charity, it's a choice, not an obligation. A few years ago I gave an old hi fi stack to BHF, they sold it within a week for well over £100, asked me if I wanted the money as they would still make money due to tax rules, told them to keep it all.

A few years ago I gave an old hi fi stack to BHF, they sold it within a week for well over £100, asked me if I wanted the money as they would still make money due to tax rules, told them to keep it all.

I regularly give the charities surplus items, but I have never heard of that. The last thing I gave BHF was a three piece, which the sold for £125 - because I saw it in their store, I never heard anything more about it.

Just giving are not a charity, as a business anything they give, directly or by reducing fees, is a good thing, and I don't think they,or any business/person should be shamed into giving. .
I don't have a problem with 1% fees, I don't, it's not excessively greedy imo. They can't work for nothing and without the ease of the company set up, I doubt very much if Captain Tom would've done so well, esp with the overseas donations.

I like to think that the company donated a while back - be nice if they did.

Am i the only one that mumbles 'fck off' to most charities on the TV?
It is never ending,,,adopt a bear,,,save the donkies,rain forest,on and on,,,supermarkets wishing to take a donation at the till,big issue outside the shop,

I was asked to buy an acre of rain forest in Belize? or some Latin American country?

You got a title deed to it but it was vague

It was all very well but it seemed that u did not actually know the exact position of your said piece of land :confused:

Suppose they struck oil on it? Or discovered gold etc

FB_IMG_1589116302938.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back