Cheap at half the price!

I have always thought exactly the same think. Makes no sense at all. I always say 'cheap at twice the price' instead.

Do you think it may be a corrupted phrase and it was originally 'As it is half price, it is cheap? But it is never used in that text, it is always used when referring to the price presently being asked of anything, weird phrase.[/u]

Yes, did wonder if it was used differently long ago, but has been corrupted more recently. Still can't make a lot of sense of it either way.

Sponsored Links
I always thought it was just sarcasm. If it was half the price it was being sold for, it would be cheap (although not in the case of the precious metal bog handle)

Sponsored Links
Could never understand that phrase 'Cheap at Half the Price'.
If something is half price, it usually is cheap, although not always.
Shouldn't the phrase be 'Cheap at Twice the Price' ???? and that would indicate good deal.
The one I always feel is back to front I hear a lot is when a guy says "I'm going to take a p1$$" or "going for a wee".

Excuse me but, if anything, you're giving it away. :confused:

So you went for a pee did you? Is it in your handbag or something?

A dear old friend of mine who's a polyglot, originally from Trieste, never quite got his head around how we mix past and present tense like "I didn't do it". To this day he might say "I didnt did it" or "did you farted". Think about it! We take it for granted, (our way), but it doesn't make sense in other languages...

A dear old friend of mine who's a polyglot, originally from Trieste, never quite got his head around how we mix past and present tense like "I didn't do it". To this day he might say "I didnt did it" or "did you farted". Think about it! We take it for granted, (our way), but it doesn't make sense in other languages...

That's because English has the (dis?)advantage of having roots in a number of different languages brought here by various invaders over the centuries.

I suppose we have the advantage of not being required to assign (and remember) a gender* for every conceivable item we talk about but, nevertheless, I do feel sorry for any foreigner who chooses to try to learn English.

*I sometimes wonder whether a German, for example, would be confused if I referred to an item as der, die or das, or whether they'd just have a quiet titter to themselves and think 'stupid Englishman'! :LOL:

That's because English has the (dis?)advantage of having roots in a number of different languages brought here by various invaders over the centuries.
Yeah, like we never "invaded" others. (Having *conquered half the globe). ;)

And so we are reaping what we have sown and b1tching about it like a spoilt kid :rolleyes: Bloody foreigners!!! More :rolleyes:

*Murder, rape, torture, pillage, slavery, ethnic cleansing (a more anodyne and acceptable word these days)

And so we are reaping what we have sown and b1tching about it like a spoilt kid :rolleyes: Bloody foreigners!!! More :rolleyes:

*Murder, rape, torture, pillage, slavery, ethnic cleansing (a more anodyne and acceptable word these days)

Was I b1tching about it?

Was I b1tching about it?
Wasn't a dig at you dude. We're cool, I hope :) Just sayin' it as it is; as always...

We were/are invaders - by definition. Okay, our forefathers were, and still are, British invaders along with them across the pond :rolleyes:

Was I b1tching about it?
Wasn't a dig at you dude. We're cool, I hope :) Just sayin' it as it is; as always...

We were/are invaders - by definition. Okay, our forefathers were, and still are, British invaders along with them across the pond :rolleyes:

Sure. No problem. :D

Was I b1tching about it?

Not my forefathers, unless they found a shilling in their glass...

http://tinyurl.com/avqro23

'...as many as one-fifth of wealthy Victorian Britons derived all or part of their fortunes from the slave economy.
As a result, there are now wealthy families all around the UK still indirectly enjoying the proceeds of slavery where it has been passed on to them. Dr Draper said: "There was a feeding frenzy around the compensation." A John Austin, for instance, owned 415 slaves, and got compensation of £20,511, a sum worth nearly £17m today. And there were many who received far more...'

So compo' existed back then ! Just massive sums - in return for abolishment of slavery - It came at a cost to the tax payer !! SFA dosh to the slaves tho'.

We should apologise, some rusty bullet hole once demanded...

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back