Cheap EPC's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Any issue with cheaper EPC's - or should they all be good as one another?

Not had an EPC done before, but need two doing fairly soon.

Looking at prices around £40- £50.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Been to g&j and got some m.d.f. with a bit of w.b.p. whilst at b&q their d.p.m. was more expensive than their d.p.c. but their e.m.l. was useful only they could not match the c.l.s. or the p.a.s from t.p.

Wot's epg mean?

Sponsored Links
They are a con anyway

mate of mine got "good marks" for having LED bulbs

...but "bad marks" for the open fire

and for having enough loft insulation but of an old material

bad marks firewise were due to being possible to burn coal!!!!!!!!!!

..........so what was to stop him changing his light bulbs?!?

His report wanted him to spend several thousand (£6836 to be precise) in order to "save" £300 per year. We worked that it would take 65 years to get his cash back
and that was IF his replacement boiler lasted that long because paying out for another would increase the timespan even more :eek: :eek: :eek:

It doesn't matter what is costs as long as it is accurate. I get loads done and at least 30% are inaccurate. Not that anybody gives a toss but there you are.

Over a number of weeks I enquired with four seperate companies/individuals to undertake an EPC and not one made return contact.

In the end I paid through the nose for the Estate Agents which was about 30quid more.

He didnt want to know about the improvements made to the lower portion of the main window bay and how its improved from original 5mm fibreboard and plaster skim, fixed to wooden frame and hung tile facade...but the windows attached to it mattered!

Money for old rope.

Over a number of weeks I enquired with four seperate companies/individuals to undertake an EPC and not one made return contact.

In the end I paid through the nose for the Estate Agents which was about 30quid more.

He didnt want to know about the improvements made to the lower portion of the main window bay and how its improved from original 5mm fibreboard and plaster skim, fixed to wooden frame and hung tile facade...but the windows attached to it mattered!

Money for old rope.

BUT unfortunately very necessary to sell (or in other words yet another stealth tax :evil: )

BUT unfortunately very necessary to sell (or in other words yet another stealth tax :evil: )
Or let.

I can see the idea, and it's a good one - if you are looking to rent somewhere, it would be a good idea if you had some idea of how expensive it will be to heat. It just falls down on implementation - and the fact that (as mentioned) I don't think many people think to ask about it/look at it.

It gets even better in a few years - at some point it'll be illegal to rent out a band G or H (IIRC) property.

...but "bad marks" for the open fire

and for having enough loft insulation but of an old material

bad marks firewise were due to being possible to burn coal!!!!!!!!!!

..........so what was to stop him changing his light bulbs?!?

His report wanted him to spend several thousand (£6836 to be precise) in order to "save" £300 per year. We worked that it would take 65 years to get his cash back

No - the bad marks for open fire were because there is a 9" sq opening ventilating the property. Would you leave a 9" sq hole in your outside wall?
No - he wasn't penalised for old loft insulation. It is only assessed on thickness alone. What did he think was 'enough'?
Yes - he could change his light bulbs;
No - it didn't want him to change his boiler - it was a recommendation that IF he needed or decided to change (as a result of wanting to improve the heating) then it would show an improvement in efficiency.

It's a pity the recipients for EPCs don't actually bother to read and understand them properly or ask the person who produced it to explain more fully rather than just slag them off down the pub.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back