Cheap SDS to cut cores or should i be spending more?

go into b&q/homebase etc and see how many of the real cheapies dont have a clutch.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
go into b&q/homebase etc and see how many of the real cheapies dont have a clutch.

Give me the name of a 6kg unit that doesn't have a clutch.

Both the Erbaur units have clutches.

Sponsored Links
But does it comply with health and safety legislation? Just because it doesn't mention a feature doesn't mean it doesn't have it.

i just put a 110 core through my outside wall no problem with a 650 watt performance hammer sds drill from b & Q. i borrowed it from my boss who has had it 3 years and has done countless tasks with it and it's still going strong. it may only be 650 watt but more importantly it has plenty Torque to do cores. i was at B&Q earlier on tonight and they have the same drill on offer for £15.88.

You can't go wrong at that price.

but more importantly it has plenty Torque to do cores

I'll rephrase that to "more importantly doesnt have a clutch so not a good idea to use it for cores"

You can't go wrong at that price.
how much value do you put on body parts/time off due to injury?

Been there, got Tshirt lol

joe-90 said:
But does it comply with health and safety legislation? Just because it doesn't mention a feature doesn't mean it doesn't have it.

according to the manual it does as it has a signed compliance page. Personally i think its pants they sell them without. If you really want to check phone up and ask. The erabuer obviosuly does have one, but as i said theres many a real cheap one that doesnt.

Ive been hit by one and it bloody hurts. Seems ridiculous to me that they are sold like that when for an extra 20 quid you can buy one with a clutch. Its one of those things that may not happen when your using it for a long time, but when it does youll know about it. There have been threads on here where others have experianced similar or worse injuries

Im with eggplant

Thermo said:
dont see any mention of a clutch on this one, or in the manual. it even has a warning about what happens when the drill bit snarls up

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101377&ts=68659&id=88854#

and they list the drills in the description that do have a safety clutch

I was going to get this one because in the paper copy of the catalogue (old school i know) it lists the drill as having a clutch.

I currently have a Wickes drill in the boot of my car about to be returned because it does not have a clutch. It is stated else where in the replies that they must all have them for health and safety reasons. This does not surprise me but which bit of legislation would they have to comply with? I can access all BS standards if someone can tell me which one. I'd rather keep the unit i have if it is likely to have a clutch

I would be suprised if there was any regulatory requirement for a drill to have a clutch. Its a feature not a requirement.

I, and many people I know have used for years and still use drills without clutches for core drilling in domestic work

joe-90 said:

who is gonna use a 6kg hammer for coring they run to slow :eek:

deefa said:
Who is gonna use a 6kg hammer for coring they run to slow :eek:
Joe? ;) He's obviously well developed in that area

I use two drills at the moment, a 2kg Bosch industrial SDS without rotation stop - because it's lightweight and great for drilling walls (especially at head height or above) and a 3kg Atlas-Copco (aka Milwaukee since the name change) which is heavier but has rotation stop - it's great for chasing out walls, sinking boxes (with an Armeg box sinker), removing tiles, bricks, etc. Both of these drills have clutches but neither are up to the challenge of a 100mm core drill - the clutches don't act fast enough, although even the Bosch will handle 50mm, no problems. I have my own set of diamond cores plus a cheap 2-cutter TCT set bought when I started (52mm + 117mm and they set me back all of £20). Most of the coring I do is for waste pipes, water pipes, etc. So at the moment I hire a diamond core drill on those rare occassions I need one and use my own tooling (and it's hiring the tooling where you pay the biggest part of it) and whilst at some time in the future I'm going to splash-out on a proper Makita or similar, it won't be for a while. Sometime, because doing one big core every 8 to 10 weeks hardly justifies the cost of a single-purpose drill - and hiring is cheaper than the loss of income which results from spraining a wrist, falling off a ladder, or whatever.

6kg drills? Don't make me laugh! They're gorilla machines and are just to big, heavy and slow for most drilling operations, although I'd agree that if you are into demolition then they certainly have their uses. If you want some fun then try using one to drill into concrete, such as Bisons, above your head......

So to the OP, I'd say get a cheap TCT core set and HIRE a decent core drill. When it comes to buying spend your money on something like a 2kg Makita or Bosch Industrial as they'll last you the rest of your life in all probability (my Bosch has done 20 years so far)

Scrit

confused 2 said:
If it is only to cut 2 holes its a no brainer, buy a cheap one.
...and spend the spare money on critical injury insurance. :rolleyes:

I bought one of those cheap 6 KG drills from B&Q.

It drilled one core hole and then the cogs failed. So did the SDS/chuck bit as well so although it was only about £29 it did not last very long.

Most core holes I have made over last five years have been with a non-clutch 600w domestic style drill with a little known name. It does jam sometimes but I have very strong wrists and hold it clear of my face.

Tony

Agile said:
I bought one of those cheap 6 KG drills from B&Q.

It drilled one core hole and then the cogs failed. So did the SDS/chuck bit as well so although it was only about £29 it did not last very long.

Most core holes I have made over last five years have been with a non-clutch 600w domestic style drill with a little known name. It does jam sometimes but I have very strong wrists and hold it clear of my face.

Tony
Do you have any advice for the OP?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back