checking newly installed rads and piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i've just installed and solder jointed 2 rads and all relevent 15mm copper, ending in 2 tails just below the boiler awaiting the plumber to fit properly.
I ask him to come round to test all my joints as a subfloor was going on top of the piping and obviously i want to know its right before laying the floor.
Now, the plumber came in (whilst i was at work) and air pressure tested the lot using a foot pump and all the gubbings, which i know is a common method of testing. He said all was fine and that i'd done a good job.
However, I originally asked the plumber to connect the rads to the boiler and turn them on so that hot water goes through them. This way the pipes expand and contract and that truly tests the joints.

Am i being paranoid here? Is the air pressure test good enough? Or should he really have connected the rads and tested with hot water.
I cannot afford anything going wrong once the floor has been laid and i'm not an experienced solderer, i used yorkshire solder-ring fittings.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. :)

edit: he's a golfing friend of the mrs' dad, so there is an extra onus to do a good job, which he always has done in the past. Plus he is a decent guy and a corgi plumber anyway.

Sponsored Links
ok, had a 2nd opinion from a friend who installed my last combi boiler system and he says that the air pressure test is far better than hte water one as the boiler wouod never crank up enough pressure as the goot pump.
So maybe all is well and good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back