Checks after Planning Permission Granted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Suppose you have been given planning permission for 4m and you build 4.5m, who comes and checks whether it is done accordingly? I ask because I have come across someones extension that the plans say 3.5m but its is much bigger around 4.5m and he has been given completion certifcate and all.

Sponsored Links
A completion certificate is Building Control not Planning. BC don't give a hoot about Planning, they rarely even acknowledge each other in fact.

Planning may take action, depends on how long ago it was built. They won't check up on it unless someone complains or it was a particularly contentious application or the building was listed or other oddity.

What is your motive/involvement here?

well I have a close friend who is having some issues with the planning department regarding a two storey extension on his semi-detached property. The council is saying his second floor needs to be set back by about 70-80cm due to the neighbours kitchen window as it affects the 45 degree angle. The neighbours I believe have no issue as they plan to do ground floor extension in the near future.

Basically even though neighbours seem fine the council insists the first floor is affecting them for light and view and if I remember the neighbours house is on slightly lower ground so what they see now is a wall/fence/outbuilding which is about as high as the windows and after they will see same sort of a view just with bricks.

So when I mentioned to him about my neighbour who has done about 4.5m extension when plans state about 3.5m....I wondered if anyone actually checks after the building has gone up and what the consuquence of building more.

We are being audited by the council on our extension. Apparently we've been randomly selected for their monitoring. Ours isn't contentious or complicated so it probably was random. The lad who came round to do the first check didn't seem that clued up but I suspect even he might notice a metre difference. AIUI generally nobody checks unless there is a complaint but it would be a big risk.

Sponsored Links
All councils have compliance teams which check a percentage of applications. I would have said not many get checked on the basis that you don't see them very often. But I ran into one a while ago who was travelling around for the day with a bco. He didn't announce himself. I just by chance happened to ask him who he was. So my guess is they check more than we think but they don't always let on who they are.

I have been arguing with my LPA on a similar issue. I even have a written agreement from the neighbours that they have no problems with the extension projecting beyond the 45 degrees from their kitchen window but the LPA are not agreeing to the second floor. The neighbours also want to do an extension in the next 12 months so I don't really see the issue..i think the LPA is just being difficult.

What if these neighbours change their minds and decide that they no longer want to build an extension but instead wish to sell to somebody that may well object to the 45 degree rule.....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back