Children

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My children have grown up in a roughish area as i was, i sent them to the top of the class by spending time helping them to read.

10 yrs later

My grandchild is now top of the class, she has no competition.

What's going on? Parents????

Sponsored Links
I'm getting at no other child is in her range in the same class, she's held behind as the rest are slow? how do do treat your children.

So take it the next plan is to box her off to university were she gets qualifications up to the hilt only to then end up serving my chubby self a burger in mc donalds because no jobs are available within her field of study ?

Sponsored Links
I'm getting at no other child is in her range in the same class, she's held behind as the rest are slow? how do do treat your children.

Mine were taught from an early age, were far in advance of fellow students. Excel and always at the top of class. Take extra subjects after school as the teachers want the "few" to have every advantage.
Sound elitist, "the few? Well that is the schools view and they are happy to do this for students who make the effort.

I see school leavers hardly able to write and do simple calculations. When your trying to train them, teaching the basics should not be part of the job.
Although if they show promise they are given a chance.

Agree libby i see it as i work in houses no interaction with young kids in majority of cases.
Its all simple things that dont take any extra time as such.
Count stairs out as you carry them up to bed let them look at the pages and point to words/letters as you read the stories to them.
By 18 months old my daughter could count to a hundred and new the alphabet and could read to the extent that when a lorry drove past saying east midlands electricity she turned to my wife and said mum that lorry says east midlands like dads t shirts but what is that other long word(after attempting it).
They dont need it drumed in just do it as everyday fun and games

My children have grown up in a roughish area as i was, i sent them to the top of the class by spending time helping them to read.

10 yrs later

My grandchild is now top of the class, she has no competition.

What's going on? Parents????

Hats off to you liiby..I also spent time reading and calculating with my kids and although not top of the class they was quite good and are doing well after leaving school......what I hate is the parents who gladly let kids spend all day on playstations while watching the latest soaps or singing /dancing competition and dont interact with them at all

I will probably get slated for this comment, but if we returned to the situation that children are born to married parents, and the mother(or father) gave up work and looked after the kids, the unemployment problem would be solved and the cost of living and housing would gradually return to be afforded on a single income (Government assistance until this was achieved would be a better use of benefits). The children would be better educated and better behaved.

We would also have to tell the hand wringing do-gooders to get lost!

So take it the next plan is to box her off to university were she gets qualifications up to the hilt only to then end up serving my chubby self a burger in mc donalds because no jobs are available within her field of study ?

Only pessimists talk like that or people who need someone else to blame for their short comings.

You helped your children to read... :eek:

With respect libby, given that small example of your own grammar, one would assume your children didn't teach your grandchild to read, being as she is 'top of her class' without any competition?

It's great that you're proud of your grandchild libby and want to announce that pride to the world but they are not and you are not unique. There are plenty of children who are excelling in schools (I spend a lot of time at my son's school helping out with projects, trips, visits etc). I see a range of children at various ages who are outstanding pupils. My own son is (fortunately), one of the 'bright ones'. We (my wife and I), try to teach him as much as we can. The 'Word Association' game in this forum was started by me. It's one of many games we play in the car, on the walk to school etc. It's a sneaky way of teaching him (like all children, he doesn't always want to 'learn', he'd rather play). But as well as the children that are performing well in classes, I also see those that struggle to keep up with the rest of their class. There are many parents who spend time with their children, who teach them, who nurture their inquisitive minds. There are also those that couldn't give two hoots about their offspring. It's sad for the child but the world has always had people such as this.

Express how fantastic your children are, your grandchildren, your great grandchildren etc etc. Tell them how amazing you think they are. Let them know they are loved and that you're proud of them. That's all something to be encouraged but the reality is, they DO have competition, they are not unique and if they're growing up believing they are head and shoulders above their peers, that they have 'no competition', that they are unique, how do you think that's going to look to employers? Fine if those children are bound for self-employment but they've got to work with other people at some point (people that aren't in their league!). We've probably all met a person who has an attitude that they're the most important person in the room, in the office, in the building... in the world! They tend to be loners, they tend to offend people, they tend to come a cropper. Yes, sometimes they go on to be successful but that's few and far between. In my opinion, and that's all it is, 'my opinion', nurturing your children is to be encouraged but don't give the children the idea that they're in some way superior to their peers, that they have no competition, that they're being held back because they're so superior to the rest of their peers. Nurturing that kind of attitude is going to lead to them coming down to earth with a big bang when they start on the road to a career.

Come on canta, let's have a comment from you on this.

Totally agree Libby regarding reading....wonderful to encourage your children to love it, you will never, ever, be bored if you love reading.

Thankfully reading seems to be making a comeback and is very much being encouraged, some really fabulous and entertaining books about for all ages.
Things like Harry Potter, The Twilight Saga etc.have I think encouraged an age group to read that maybe otherwise would have lost interest.

If anyone has read a good book do please recommend it in the Books (words) section, I really have enjoyed reading those recommended so far.

Just read your post blas...excellent advice, to constantly show them love and encouragement is most important of all...they can't all be 'the brainy one' but it is so essential that all children feel valued and loved whatever their academic achievements.

Reading is important, stimulates the imagination far better than the X-Box.

In the press there were reports that kids going to primary school weren't toilet trained :eek:

Teachers now think it's a sh17 job !

[quote="Alarm";p="2335062. Excel and always at the top of class. . When your trying to train them, .[/quote] Strange names for them - you`re kidding , right . :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back