Chimney cleaning logs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't get a Sweep in to do our usual 'spring clean' on our open fire chimney, so was just wondering.

Has anyone used one, and do they work?

Sponsored Links
You can get a set of rods and a brush for £30-40 from tool station. I've used this on my stoves for years.

These logs do work to a degree.....rather than cleaning they convert the deposits to a sort of brittle coke which comes away quite well.
Nothing beats the rods and brushes of course, or a small boy if one is available :rolleyes:
John :)

You can get a set of rods and a brush for £30-40 from tool station. I've used this on my stoves for years.

And a good vacuum cleaner with a large capacity drum!
My Dad used to put the soot around the roses, which he used to win prizes for, so it must have done them no harm.

Sponsored Links
Can't get a Sweep in to do our usual 'spring clean' on our open fire chimney, so was just wondering.

Has anyone used one, and do they work?
Old fashioned method...Rip roaring fire,set fire to the chimney...Lots of smoke.Sorted....

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Nothing beats the rods and brushes of course, or a small boy if one is available :rolleyes:

Eventually outlawed in 1875 after horrifying prevalence of scrotal cancer.

First identified in 1775

Parliament not quick to protect the lives of the working classes.

Eventually outlawed in 1875 after horrifying prevalence of scrotal cancer.

First identified in 1775

Parliament not quick to protect the lives of the working classes.
,‘Twas a joke,,,but thanks for the history lesson,,,and the inevitable dig at Parliament you obsess over.Very interesting though,,,kids as young as 4 sent up chimneys....Cancer treatment involved removal of testicular lesion without anaesthetic.....Owwwwww

Last edited by a moderator:
Use power rods, that's what i use on our log burner or open fire when i am sensing a blockage. These are almost identical to what my chimney sweep uses ive used a camera after to check they do a really good job. Note you need a decent cordless drill with plenty of torque at low speed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chimney-...hash=item48d54efad0:m:m9VTKQ6DJeZ-aAYYdrMF00Q
I have a set like that, unfortunately mine came adrift in the flue but I was just able to reach it :eek:
I'm not saying it is a bad product, I was just unlucky.
I now use threaded rods from fluesystems.com and I'm much happier with them.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have a set like that, unfortunately mine came adrift in the flue but I was just able to reach it :eek:
I'm not saying it is a bad product, I was just unlucky.
I now use threaded rods from fluesystems.com and I'm much happier with them.
They do look nice and if i was a pro (not prostitute may i add) i would be looking at something like them. The set i have if anything they're hard to get apart, you need to oil and keep clean or the spring loaded pins stick.

Nothing beats the rods and brushes of course
Being a total amateur at such things, I'd probably knock the cowls off!
Was just looking for an interim measure until service is resumed.

Our chimney is 14m tall and angled, so 'reach' would be a problem!

Last chimney sweep I employed was to remove a birds nest from a chimney.His first set of rods became stuck ..He used a hook on another set..They became stuck....He was there all day for what he expected to be 1 hour job...Poor bloke

Sponsored Links
Back