Chimney flu extraction regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just in the process of laying out the costs for the kitchen, part of which involves opening up a chimney breast to accept a range cooker.

I got a guy who installs log burners to come and quote the opening up bit but he doesn’t seem to know much about extraction as such. He said Obviously if you buy a log burner it will say extraction using an XYZ diameter flu based on the size etc blah.

I was going to get him to drop a flu down the chimney for some kitchen extraction but he couldn’t advise me what I diameter I need to drop down.

Can anyone recommend a decent extractor that I can install over the hob like the attached image?

Attachments

• 28DF53C8-BB04-407A-917C-50CCA3747150.png
    28DF53C8-BB04-407A-917C-50CCA3747150.png
    492.2 KB · Views: 253
Sponsored Links
because its not a safety/danger issue like a burner its just an extraction off smells and moisture issue

because its not a safety/danger issue like a burner its just an extraction off smells and moisture issue

Yes that’s fair enough ... just need to know what flu to tell him size wise. I can’t do that until I know what extractor I’m buying

I dont know much about extractors but would have thought if you had too much vertical rise without a pretty powerfull fan to blow the steam away it could condense in the flue and run back in the hood.
If that theory is correct could you go short distance vertical and then horizontal through the wall?

Sponsored Links
what extractor

Elica make a good range. Email and ask them to send you the glossy brochure, their website is awful.

Larger models use 150mm duct

If you use flexible duct, it will eventually become coated with greasy dirt and is impossible to clean. I suppose the grease may be a fire hazard. Condensation will drip down. Ask your chimney man about some kind of trap and drain so it doesn't drip into the extractor. If you have access to an external wall, a short rigid duct will be easier to wipe clean by taking off the grill and sticking your hand in with a sponge and detergent.

Look for one intended for building into your own canopy.

Examples

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ELERALUXSS80.html

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ELSLEEK80WG.html

I was under the impression that an kitchen style extractor would already have a grease trap but yes condensation could indeed be a fire risk...

Can’t go out side ways as the Chinmey backs onto a party wall.

Don’t fancy ducting it all the way through the utility to the gable end

Must be possible

There's a long shot changce I might be able to get it through some flat ducting under the bedroom floor... I've got 58mm gap between the lintels

If your range cooker is solid fuel, oil or gas you are not allowed to have an extractor fan in a room with an open flued appliance.

If your range cooker is solid fuel, oil or gas you are not allowed to have an extractor fan in a room with an open flued appliance.

Thanks for commenting, I assume that’s bevause the extractor could suck fumes back into the room? .... however our gas hob won’t be and open flue. The idea is that I install a hood type kitchen extractor inside the chimney breast with a lined flue up the chimney. There will be a condensation trap at the bottom before the main attachment.

This will serve as the only extraction from the kitchen.

It's discouraged, but I don't think it's actually forbidden; a smoke test would prove whether it's actually a problem.

I assume then from your description its not what is normally classed as range cooker (E.G Aga; Rayburn, Stanley etc) but a double width gas cooker with normal gas burners which will not require an open flue.

I assume then from your description its not what is normally classed as range cooker (E.G Aga; Rayburn, Stanley etc) but a double width gas cooker with normal gas burners which will not require an open flue.
To me a country boy it means the same as you but just “range”
I think the term range cooker has been hijacked by manufacturers to make gas and lecky stoves seem sexy
to the masses
https://www.google.co.uk/search?saf....5..41j0i131j46j46i131i275j46i131._16k-N-5bis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back