Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We’re looking to have a new gas fire installed, to replace the old one that we have.

The company we’ve been talking to has suggested that a fire we like can be installed but they would have to remove part or all of the gather.

Is this legal, will it require building regulations and is it safe to do so?

Apologies if I’m in the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As long as they finish the chimney off properly and make good and it fits the MI specification then there shouldn't be any issue. I assume it will be to allow the firebox to be fitted correctly. Will they be lining the chimney too then as part of that?

At the end of the day and the job the end result has to follow the MI and the regs.

Thanks Madrab,

Apologies for my ignorance but what is a MI Specification?

Yes, to fit fire box and lining to the chimney.

So just to confirm, the removal of a Gather is fine, safe (it won’t cause and structural damage further down the line) and not illegal according to any compliance or regulation then?

Sponsored Links
So just to confirm, the removal of a Gather is fine, safe (it won’t cause and structural damage further down the line) and not illegal according to any compliance or regulation then?
No one here can say for definite without seeing or doing the job.Correct to MI is one thing but it does not mean someone can make your chimney unsafe to make a fire fit.Your fitter needs to know what he is doing and do you trust him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, just make sure it is signed off and certified at the finish.

I wouldn't think there would be any issue to alter the gather to allow the firebox to fit as long as the lining and new gather/register plate and terminal are all finished properly and the flue is safe and pulls correctly. That and the builders opening/fireplace will have to have the dimensions that are specified in the manufacturers instructions.

Ideally it would be done by a chimney fitter, it really needs a professional alteration and finish to be correct IMO. As suggested you need to be sure and trust it's being created correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back