Chimney stack and breast removal from a Gable End wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Victorian end of terrace house - is it possible to remove the chimney stack and breasts from the gable end wall, or will it weaken it too much?

I haven't bought the house yet, so apologies for limited pics.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• chimney 1.jpg
    chimney 1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 310
  • chimney 2.jpg
    chimney 2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
Agreed with noseall, even if it's an essential structural part of your house like one of ours was you can still remove at a cost.

Sponsored Links
Agreed with noseall, even if it's an essential structural part of your house like one of ours was you can still remove at a cost.

Thanks for your reply John D, when you say 'at a cost' does that mean additional work was needed to to then reinforce the wall, if so could you expand.

Presumably you want to remove it to increase the room size by a few measly square feet? Is it worth the money and effort? Might be easier just to spend a few extra k on a very, very slightly bigger house...

Haha, if only it was that easy. The house is at the end of a cul-de-sac and has quite a bit of land to the side, and it's more about room layout than trying to gain a few measly feet.

Unfortunately I've never opted for the cheap and easy solution - another thing to add to my list of DNA complaints :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back