chimney sweep help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I thought i would give this a go my self as my chimey sweeper makes it look so easy, right i have bought all the right things i need for the job the only problem is i get to 8 rods and i cant go any more i have tryed alsorts to get to the pot but no look, does anyone have any tips please
thanks
paul

Sponsored Links
Use a smaller brush that will go into the pot.....if you are using a 16" brush, no way will that go in.
(Don't force it - you don't want to knock the pot off :p )
I've a cut down bristle brush that I use, made to around 9" diameter.
You can also get 4" and 6" wire brushes that can help you, and keep those rods turning, clockwise!
John :)

Use a smaller brush that will go into the pot.....if you are using a 16" brush, no way will that go in.
You can also get 4" and 6" wire brushes that can help you, and keep those rods turning, clockwise!

ah right i have just checked and its a 16" brush

ah right i have just checked and its a 16" brush

am sure tho a 16" brush should fit though my pot tho :confused:

Sponsored Links
Unless your chimney is lined or brand new, there are all sorts of obstructions that can snarl up the brushes.....brickwork snots, chunks of mortar etc.....any of these can obstruct the brush or catch on the rod ferrules.
See if you can get the plain rods up there, and watch for them appearing at the pot top - then you'll know just how long the chimney is.
Again, the golden rule if possible is to keep the brush rotating as it goes up.
A 16" brush will fit through a large pot, but its surprising how tight some of them are. You don't want the pot coming loose, and bouncing down the slates..... :p

Unless your chimney is lined or brand new, there are all sorts of obstructions that can snarl up the brushes.....brickwork snots, chunks of mortar etc.....any of these can obstruct the brush or catch on the rod ferrules.
See if you can get the plain rods up there, and watch for them appearing at the pot top - then you'll know just how long the chimney is.
Again, the golden rule if possible is to keep the brush rotating as it goes up.
A 16" brush will fit through a large pot, but its surprising how tight some of them are. You don't want the pot coming loose, and bouncing down the slates..... :p

Hi john
i will try that tomorrow then, its a old house with a large pot on but will try and send the rods up tomorrow
thanks
paul

Good man :p
On older chimneys, the internal brickwork is stepped as it rises through rooms towards the outer stack. Ideally those steps should be smoothed over with mortar (called parging) but most of it will have fallen away by now. Its so easy to snag the brush - in fact on one house I do I haven't managed to reach the top yet...and as its 3 storeys high, it can bloomin' well stay that way :p

Good man :p
On older chimneys, the internal brickwork is stepped as it rises through rooms towards the outer stack. Ideally those steps should be smoothed over with mortar (called parging) but most of it will have fallen away by now. Its so easy to snag the brush - in fact on one house I do I haven't managed to reach the top yet...and as its 3 storeys high, it can bloomin' well stay that way :p

my house is only 2 storys so 10 rods should easy get to the top me thinks.

paul

Hi.
Top tip is to tie a piece of rope (at least as long as your rods) to the brush so as you can retrieve it should it come loose :eek:

Bobo.

onecog, Never even thought of that, but it is so simple. Will try it again in future, just in case. With coal nowadays, having to sweep the chimney every 8-12 weeks. And they reckoned 1-2 sweeps per year was sufficient. No problem with the kitchen chimney - straight up, done in 10 minutes. Sitting room has a bend at the 3rd rod. Struggle for minutes and then manage to get going again, and usually straight up with no real problems; although recently, after that bend, it seems as though the head of the brush may be snagging on old stonework.
Does anyone have any experience, and advice re using the chimney cleaning powders, ie.- sorcerer, ? Imp., etc. Bought some recently, but as yet have not used it.
AND, if you have a chimney fire, and the Fire Brigade show up, DO NOT LET THEM do as they please with their hose. Years back saw some neighbours in tears, after they had put the hose, full blast, down the chimney. The mess in all rooms was unbelievable.
They turned up at my house 2 yrs back. Told them they could 'trickle' water down from the top, but not hose it down. " Why not, we have a "duty of care to your neighbour." I told them that hosing cold water down onto hot bricks and stones would cause them to crack, and cause serious damage. They trickled the water down, and soon the problem was resolved.

Anyone here with suggestions for the use of "Sorcerer" flue and chimney cleaner ?? How best to use it.
Swept our chimney last week and the result was 14 lbs. of soot !!! Last swept it in July. I was wondering if Sorcerer or similar powders do cause a substantial reduction in soot, and help to keep the chimney clear.

These products seem to collect the soot together, and form lumps of coke, for want of a better term......they can't stop soot production though.
I have to say they do make things easier for the chimney sweep!
One of the best tips is to not let the fire smoulder, or if you're burning logs, make sure they are dry i.e less than 20% moisture.

I once had a sweep say that he did it from the top down so I needed a removable vent.

Did it myself in the end, I wasnt going up there to change the pot vent for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back