Choosing a replacement radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At present I have installed throughout the house pretty old fashioned radiators which are inefficient and need replacing. But I'm at a loss as to what to replace them with. I dont want designer radiators or anything, just standard types but am confused as to what a new standard radiator consists of nowadays? And the price i should be paying. Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
what a new standard radiator consists of nowadays?
Normally sheets of steel, folded and welded.
And the price i should be paying.

Seriously, without more information, answering this will be difficult.
There are unpteen makes of "standard" radiators, all making dozens of size combinations in single and double panel, with and without convectors.

Sorry to be so vague but it's due to ignorance. But I will try and give as much info as possible.
Most of the radiators are doubles and not fitted with convectors. As if to show my ignorance what's the benefit of having convectors?
All the radiators are fitted with thermostats and I have a general thermostat in the hallway.
I have a new combi 28w boiler powering all this.

Is there a benefit to having flat panels rather than 'ribbed' or is this just a cosmetic thing?

Basically I'm looking to replace the the current radiators with more efficient ones but without spending an arm and a leg.

Sponsored Links
Go to http://www.radcalcs.com/ to work out the output you will need for the room(s), measure the available area of wall then do a bit of shopping around your local merchants plus Wickes etc.

Sharp intakes of breath when being told the price can sometimes help get it lowered.

Convectors are fins of metal welded to the back of rad panels. They increase the surface area. Bigger surface area = more heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back