Choosing replacement mains powered smoke/CO alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on choosing replacements for my two existing Firex L240C mains powered linked ionisation smoke alarms, installed around year 2000. Although they work fine, they've gone yellow and it's time to change them. One is in the downstairs hallway, the other in the upstairs hallway, which also has a carbon monoxide sensor connected to my home alarm. The CO sensor is probably around the same age and I don't have a CO test kit to test it (although I see I can buy one for about £15). Edit...make that £8.

It seems the equivalent replacement is the Kidde Firex KF10. However, perhaps technology has moved on somewhat and I could choose optical or ionisation sensors, and perhaps could/should combine the CO sensor.

Any suggestions as to whether the KF10 is any good etc, or other recommendations?
Better to have optical or ionisation (or one of each [if it's still possible to link them])?
Is it a worthwhile idea to have more expensive combined smoke and CO ones instead?

Any help appreciated :)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
and it's time to change them.
It was time to change them 8 years ago, such things only have a 10 year lifespan.

Replacement depends on various factors, use this: https://www.aico.co.uk/alarm-selector/
to determine what is required.

Would not recommend Firex either, used to fit a lot of those until 8 or so years ago, and then for reasons unknown many of them started failing (as in beeping continually) after a few weeks/months of installation. Cost a load of wasted time and money replacing the things.
Never had a single Aico one fail.

Thanks for the reply and the link :)
The aico site reckons I should fit alarms everywhere, and that they are all singing and dancing. I think this is a bit overkill for us, but a browse around for 'non-singing/dancing' aico sensors seems to show other ranges similar to what we currently have. Any recommendations for particular ones to have a look at? I don't mind swapping a battery every year or two.

Sponsored Links
I've ordered a pair of Aico Ei166e optical alarms. Hopefully that's me for ten years :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back