Christmas Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm really struggling to figure a decent way to hang festoon Christmas lights along my guttering.

I have aluminium gutters with broad edges which most clips don't attach to and gutter guards which don't allow any depth for clips which might attach otherwise.

Does anyone have any bright ideas I'm overlooking .... I considered cable ties through the holes but I don't think I'll get them back up through another hole.

Any help appreciated

20231208_101438.jpg

Sponsored Links
Depending upon the weight of the lights, how about using some large unfolded paperclips as hooks. One end through the holes, the other to secure the cable. If you want the cable to hang down then extend it with string or elastic bands.

def.jpg

Don't know what the hole spacing are but what about cutting up something like a metal coathanger into say two inch strips and poke it into two holes, kepping it straight(ish), then attach a tie wrap tightly to the centre of the coat hanger strip where exposed to stop it froim detaching? then just add additional tie wraps for the lights as necessary.

Sponsored Links
Depending upon the weight of the lights, how about using some large unfolded paperclips as hooks. One end through the holes, the other to secure the cable. If you want the cable to hang down then extend it with string or elastic bands.

View attachment 324320
I like this but they are festoon lights, so larger bulbs .... I'd be concerned about the weight with this setup!

Don't know what the hole spacing are but what about cutting up something like a metal coathanger into say two inch strips and poke it into two holes, kepping it straight(ish), then attach a tie wrap tightly to the centre of the coat hanger strip where exposed to stop it froim detaching? then just add additional tie wraps for the lights as necessary.
I'm just struggling to picture how attaching a cable tie to the centre of the metal strip prevents it coming loose from the holes it's poked through???

Maybe I'm not quite imagining it right!

If the wire stays in place though this could be a workable solution.

possible perhaps but cant see the other side

31004_1_800x.jpg

Thanks for the two links, these look possible but hard to be sure if gutter guards will block the clips, maybe worth a try ....

the other suggestion on amazon definitely won't work as there is no depth in the gutter for the clip to go on the inside due to the guards.

I'm just struggling to picture how attaching a cable tie to the centre of the metal strip prevents it coming loose from the holes it's poked through???

Maybe I'm not quite imagining it right!

If the wire stays in place though this could be a workable solution.
Lets say your holes are 1" apart, you cut say a 3" length of coat hanger and poke it into one hole and then poke the other end into the next hole along, you're left with 1" of coat hanger exposed, you secure that in place with a small tiewrap or two done up very tightly (preventing it from being able to slide out), that leaves the bit in the middle free to attach another cable tie to which your lights can attach to.

COAT.jpg

Simple S hook made from coat hanger wire.Make long enough to reach the edge of gutter.

1. As above, galv coat hanger wire, formed into an S shape, upper circle end - large enough to poke in and back out through the next hole.

2. Depending on the hole size, could you push a plastic cavity wall fixing, into a hole, then add a screw and washer, or a screwed hook to which you could then attach a cable clip?

3. If those guards can be hooked up and lifted, I would assume they have a right-angled edge? Fold some strips of thin metal, in a Z shape, hook them on the edge of the guard, then fix tiewraps to those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back