Circuit switch bypassed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

Hopefully the pics speak for themselves.

I found this as I was troubleshooting why I couldn't disable on circuit (sorry if the terminology is wrong). As far as I know only one of the circuits has the fuse wire.

Why would anyone do that? Maybe the "switch" is broken?
Should I remove the fuse wire?

Also this looks like an old wylex consumer unit. Are the 12 "switches" actually RCDs and ok to use or should I get some newer ones? And how urgent is that?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• 2018-03-17 18.03.09.jpg
    2018-03-17 18.03.09.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 2018-03-17 18.18.25.jpg
    2018-03-17 18.18.25.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 238
Sponsored Links
I found this as I was troubleshooting why I couldn't disable on circuit (sorry if the terminology is wrong). As far as I know only one of the circuits has the fuse wire.
No circuits have fuse wire.

Why would anyone do that? Maybe the "switch" is broken?
They are plug-in circuit breakers.
On the ones without a switch, press the small button to turn off and then push back in the big button to turn on again.
OR pull them out.

Should I remove the fuse wire?
There is no fuse wire.

Also this looks like an old wylex consumer unit. Are the 12 "switches" actually RCDs and ok to use or should I get some newer ones? And how urgent is that?
None is an RCD.
They are fine.

Many thanks for the quick reply. However, please look again at the second pic showing one of the circuit-breakers overridden with a peice of fuse wire wrapped around the plugs on the under side. That is definitely fuse wire.

Yes, Sorry. Just had a look at the second picture.

That is, indeed, a bodge presumably done because the breaker is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for confirming that and for confirming they are indeed RCDs and not simple switches. I've now removed it and all seems good but worried if that is faulty. IT seems ok though (until it bursts into flames one night...)

It was also the one controlling the intruder alarm so maybe they overrode it for security reasons?

They are MCBs - Miniature Circuit Breakers, not RCDs - Residual Current Devices.

Red ones are 30A

They may have put the wire there to stop the alarm circuit being switched off, but still not a good idea.

Which circuit is it? All the red ones look to have ring circuits connected and one has three wires.

Rewirable fuses, even when they were allowed, had to be in a suitable carrier to absorb the energy when they blow.

This is a very poor example, and I'd recommend checking it all carefully for other issues. Presumably whoever decided to make that modifitcation, would have been happy to make other similar changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back