Circular Saw for first DIY job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Any advice on the size, speed of saw and best blades to complete an outside decking job (frame construction and board cut), bearing in mind I have never used this type of tool what should I purchase.

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
mitre saw will definetly be better, however if your using it for a one off then any standard circular saw will do that has a cut depth of at least 50mm

as the above posts an mitre saw, cheep one if it's going to be used once or a hand saw if you don't mind abit of body building. :LOL: ;)
You'll get a straight cut with a mitre saw and it will be quicker than an circular saw.

Sponsored Links
Alternative to buying of course is to hire one, about £25 for a single day for a power mitre saw(or at least it is at local place to me). I think I'm right in saying as well, that most cheap circular saws come with a blade only really suited to ripping and not cross cutting (I know the cheapie I was given is in that category)

you could get a hand mitre saw

seen one in Lidl around £10 - £15.

I purchased the elctric one myself from there a while back for £60 with 3yrs guarantee

i wouldnt want to cut one deck board with a hand mitre saw let alone more than that!

A hand mitre saw? :eek: One of the worst, most useless things in the world. Has anyone ever cut a straight mitre with one?

For the price of this or of hiring, you can get one of those cheap electic ones.

^woody^ said:
A hand mitre saw? :eek: One of the worst, most useless things in the world. Has anyone ever cut a straight mitre with one?
Yes, but you've got to buy a decent one like a Nobex or Ulmia (i.e the sort that picture framers favour) - and they cost almost as much as a small reasonable quality 'leccy one. The cheap Chiwanese cr*p the DIY shops sell are completely useless. In fact hand mitre saws have blades which are way too fine for decking in any case.

Scrit

I would definitely go with an electric mitre saw for cutting deck boards to length. Just make sure that it will cut the full width of a board easily.

How are you going to rip the final board to width though?

The ultimate solution if you are going to be doing a lot of this sort of thing would be a flip-over saw.

Cheers
Don

DonKiddick said:
The ultimate solution if you are going to be doing a lot of this sort of thing would be a flip-over saw.
As a flip-over saw user myself I'd have to agree, but the problem is that they ain't cheap

Scrit

i personaly would plan full boards if possible

there are few situations where you need to cut a full board along its length
with a bit of forward planning

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back