Circular wall socket / outlet legal ?

312WHI AND 315WHI ARE SILL AVAILABLE I BELIEVE
Yeah, it seems to me that the 13A one was discontinued years ago, but the 2A and 5A ones are still available.

I wonder was there some regulatory reason for this or whether the 2A and 5A ones simply saw more demand.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, it seems to me that the 13A one was discontinued years ago, but the 2A and 5A ones are still available.

I wonder was there some regulatory reason for this or whether the 2A and 5A ones simply saw more demand.

When I had a old house that was wired in the 1920's, the sockets for table lamps and standard lamps were on round plates in the skirting. I never thought anything of it, but perhaps all these years people have been fitting additional or replacement sockets to match the old ones.

I don't think they had backboxes.

Sponsored Links
When I had a old house that was wired in the 1920's, the sockets for table lamps and standard lamps were on round plates in the skirting. I never thought anything of it, but perhaps all these years people have been fitting additional or replacement sockets to match the old ones.

I don't think they had backboxes.

Wow, your parents must have been loaded. By 1919 only 6% of houses had electricity, by 1930 it was 66%

Whilst the exterior plug face is square (for a single socket), the protruding guts behind that plate however can often fit into a circular circumference, so that drilling a whole into a wall can indeed be done with a circular tool.

Does anybody know of a plug like tool with a sprit-level built into it, for use when rotating the plug in a circular hole to make it level. Of course, with a rectangular plug socket the guidelines would have been pre-drawn, but alignment is a little more tricky with a circle.

YAHJI1R.jpg

Last edited:
Can't you use a laser level, or spirit level to align the round back box?

Yeah, sure. I used to bore my kids rigid with stories about how I didn't have a mobile phone or a computer or internet or digital music when I was a kid.

If you wanted to listen to music, you'd switch the radio on, or go out and buy vinyl records or a cassette tape (showing them examples of each).

"What did you do?", they exclaimed, "We'd be bored sh*tless!"

Yeah, sure. I used to bore my kids rigid with stories about how I didn't have a mobile phone or a computer or internet or digital music when I was a kid.

If you wanted to listen to music, you'd switch the radio on, or go out and buy vinyl records or a cassette tape (showing them examples of each).

"What did you do?", they exclaimed, "We'd be bored sh*tless!"

But we were bored sh*tless. I recall one summer holiday, when were so bored we decided to get the tube from ealing Broadway to Epping. The journey was so boring we got off at Theyden Bois instead, looked around, shrugged and got the tube straight back to ealing. The next day we were back in the local park putting bangers in dog sh*t and running away as fast as we could.

But we were bored sh*tless. I recall one summer holiday, when were so bored we decided to get the tube from ealing Broadway to Epping. The journey was so boring we got off at Theyden Bois instead, looked around, shrugged and got the tube straight back to ealing. The next day we were back in the local park putting bangers in dog sh*t and running away as fast as we could.
Bangers in summer?

Plenty of international manufacturers offer UK 13-amp sockets for round 60 mm back boxes. I found Berker (a Hager subsidy), Gira, Merten, Jung, Legrand and Vimar with a few minutes of searching the internet. Some include accessories only used in the UK, Ireland and other countries following UK wiring methods, e.g. fused connection units. So yes, you could easily fit round 60 mm back boxes in your house and perfectly normal British sockets that comply with any regs you might come across. The only downside is the availability of spares in case something breaks. These sockets are not something your local electricians carry around in their vans all the time.

Note that most European sockets have been square since the 1960s, even though the back boxes are round. A select few manufacturers offer round sockets for nostalgia's sake, usually at fairly substantial prices. Belgium and France use a mix of square and round boxes with the same 60 mm fixing centres, Italy mostly favours rectangular American back boxes, the Swiss and the Danish each have their own, wholly incompatible national standards. Austria uses round 70 mm back boxes with 60 mm fixing centres or octagonal gangable 70 mm back boxes. All other European countries I know of use round 60 mm back boxes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back