Citroen Berlingo Multispace. 2009.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last 6 months or so this car has started making a "twittering" noise when starting from cold. It has usually disappeared after 3 or 4 miles, now it is doing it more frequently and for longer. When we rang the garage they said they knew what it was - generator belt - and would order a new one which would be fitted at next service (due in 3 weeks). Car now been in for service. No belt, and they now say they do not know what is causing it so it has to go back in (several miles and a great inconvenience).
Would appeciate any feedback from someone who has had same problem or knows cause. We considered water pump?
Tenax

Sponsored Links
I think you are on the right lines.....when starting from cold, the belts do have a hard time for a while. You say 'no' belt - do you mean 'new' belt?
If it was mine, I'd remove the auxiliary belt which would automatically isolate that one - and pay attention to the timing belt, below the plastic cover.
If the mileage is high, consider a new timing belt, tensioner and water pump all fitted at the same time.
John :)

Burnerman. I meant they had not ordered a new belt. The car is very low mileage and warranty runs out
next week! so you can understand us not wanting to be fobbed off until it does. My husband is taking it back again this evening so they can try it first thing tomorrow morning. He will mention your options - for which many thanks.
Tenax

The belts on these cars do last a long time, and my own Berlingo van (56 plate, 34k miles) shows no belt wear at all, and does make a twittering noise occasionally - but only when the weather is very cold.
Its hardly rocket science to pop the auxiliary belt off and see if the noise stops - which I'm sure it will!
Other items (driven by the same belt) are the alternator, PAS pump, A/C if appropriate and the associated tensioners so all of these items can be isolated in one go.
John :)

Sponsored Links
One way to find a 'squeaky' belt (probably not approved) is to squirt some water on them from an empty detergent bottle, when the squeak stops - you have found it :)

Peter

Thanks John and Peter. Car now seems to be OK. Just in time for our annual May holiday to your beautiful county John. Only got weather to worry about now! Olga.

May I wish you a beautiful stay in Northumberland :cool:
Despite the ghastly weather, I absolutely adore it and I'm heading for the seaside this weekend.
John :D

Back